Interesting new discovery?

Reaction score
I've been looking online for some different flours for breadmaking, and I've even been thinking about buying direct from local mill. What caught my eye during my search was a product from a mill in Wales - oak smoked flour. I've never heard of smoked flour before, and I think I could be tempted to try it. Apparently with this particular product, it's a blend of white and wholemeal flour with malted rolled wheat flakes - it's the wheat flakes that get smoked (cold smoked). A bit of further investigation led me to lots of information on people cold smoking the flour themselves. I was hoping to get into smoking meats at some point, but smoking flour never crossed my mind.

Does anyone here have any experience of this? I'd love to know what people think about the taste - some say it's a very mild and sweet smokey taste.

Reaction score
What would you use smoked flour with? A breading?

Yep. It's a bread flour. I think you could make some very interesting loaves with it. I might try it sometime.

Ooh! Pizza dough!

Definitely! A pizza dough with a smokey flavor - perfect! I am really tempted to take the plunge and buy some. But I probably wouldn't bother trying to smoke my own! Life's too short....;)

Reaction score
Definitely! A pizza dough with a smokey flavor - perfect! I am really tempted to take the plunge and buy some. But I probably wouldn't bother trying to smoke my own! Life's too short....;)[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to do a little research to see how hard it would be to smoke it myself. My dad has a smoker so I'd be really interested in experimenting!

Reaction score
Definitely! A pizza dough with a smokey flavor - perfect! I am really tempted to take the plunge and buy some. But I probably wouldn't bother trying to smoke my own! Life's too short....;)

I think I am going to do a little research to see how hard it would be to smoke it myself. My dad has a smoker so I'd be really interested in experimenting![/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about experimenting - I love to have a go at doing stuff like that myself. If I get hooked on smoked flour, I think I won't be able to stop myself from trying. I recently bought a smoker and barbeque all in one, and even though I thought I would only ever smoke meat in it, I've already smoked cheese, garlic, mushrooms and eggs in it. If the smoked flour is good, I can see myself doing it at some point.

Let me know how you get on if you do it. :)

Ask a Question