My son leaves for Army/Guard basic tomorrow

Reaction score
I am SO proud of him! But I sure will miss having him around! He will be gone for 4 months.
He is doing basic and AIT (his specialty) at the same time. He is such a great kid
and this will be the first time he has been gone for this long.
I know he will enjoy it - at least after the first couple of weeks!!! ;)
Anyone else have a child away at "bootcamp"? :)

Reaction score
I don't have a child away at boot camp. However, I just wanted to add my best wishes for your son. This is a new chapter in his life and an exciting time for him as well as you. I wish your son well, and I thank him for his service to our country.

Reaction score
I am SO proud of him! But I sure will miss having him around! He will be gone for 4 months.
He is doing basic and AIT (his specialty) at the same time. He is such a great kid
and this will be the first time he has been gone for this long.
I know he will enjoy it - at least after the first couple of weeks!!! ;)
Anyone else have a child away at "bootcamp"? :)

That is so amazing! I don't have kids that are old enough to enlist, but my brother has been in the Navy for 10 years now, so I know what it is like to be part of a military family. I miss him when he is away, and now he is on the opposite coast with his family. Hopefully he will get to move back out here one day.

Reaction score
I have a niece that is training for the Marines. She is a senior in high school. The Marines is preparing her for basic training. This is her first time away from home. I wish your son and my niece well.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! :) wow! Your niece is young. I didn't realize they'd could start while they were still in high school.
I know he will do well - I think I am nervous for him too cuz of "the unknown".
But it will all work out and be ok. :)
We get to go down in May for graduation.

Reaction score
Well - he is on his way! :0 It was weird saying goodbye. He is off to warmer weather! It was -5 this morning when we dropped him off!! :0
He seemed so young when we left him there. He's never flown by himself or traveled by himself so it will all be new experiences for him. I told him that by the time he comes back this will all seem so easy and he will wonder why he was ever "worried" about it.
He did know another soldier on the flight so that was good! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good luck to your son, I hope his training goes well! Bet you must be missing him, he'll be back before you know it with a lot of stories to tell I'm sure! :D

Reaction score
Thanks Becky!! :) I'm sure it will go well too! It will just be really hard to not have contact with him for a bit!! It is weird having him gone - but weirder to not be able to talk to or text him to see how his day is going, etc!!
I know he is totally in his element! LOL!
I did get to text him yesterday so I know he is there safely. I will really look forward to the first phone call or letter! :)
They say the "recruits" really miss their families while they are gone. I guess it is good for him to be independent and appreciate home at the same time! LOL

Ask a Question