Sourdough Starter Recipe Ideas: Romanian Easter Bread

Reaction score
For those of us who make sourdough breads, we all know how annoying it can be to have to throw away some starter that you just can't use. I try as much as possible to use it up, but I'm always on the hunt for a new recipe - particular some sweet recipes, because you cant beat that depth of flavour you get from sourdough.

Anyway, here's one I came across that I fancy making. I know Easter has passed, but this is a Romanian Easter Bread - I chose this because it's braided, which is something I want to learn how to do anyway. So, once I've had a go at this I'll come back and let you all know how I got on, and post some pics of how it turned out too.

Wish me luck!

If anyone else has some good recipes for getting starter used up, I'd love to see them. :):):)

Reaction score
Best of luck with the Romanian Easter Bread. It sounds interesting. Please post back how it went on and with a recipe link if possible.

At the moment I am building up a stock of sourdough bread in the freezer (I'm going into hospital for major back surgery a week tomorrow) so there is not too much waste, but today I will be doing another batch of drop scones. They are literally just the sour dough starter, however much you have, then mix in some water and flour (I used gram/chickpea flour last time around and it was really tasty), a little bit of sugar to taste and you have your drop scone mixture. I gave it around 10 minutes to stand, just out of habit and then cooked the mixture on the griddle in serving spoon size 'puddles'. The sweet/sour taste was great. There is not real amounts or weights, it is just done by feel. You want a runny but thick mixture and the sweetness factor is up to you really. It's hard to say 1/2 cup of flour, 1tbps of sugar because I don't know how much sourdough starter you will have to hand and I often don't have the same amount to hand, I just go by the thickness of the batter when I make it.

Reaction score
Braiding can be tricky, but there is a technique I figured out that really helps. Using a large cookie sheet, try to spread your strands out as much as you can so you don't get tangled up as you cross them.

Ask a Question