Making Bread and Rolls Ahead of Time

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new here and have a stupid question.
I need to make some breadsticks and rolls for a Sunday lunch, but I only have a limited amount of time to cook everything and make the bread.
I would love to just bake them the day of without having to make the dough, proof them and then bake.
My question is,
Can I make and form the breadsticks and rolls the day before, put them in the fridge overnight and then bake them the next day?
If so, do I proof them the day before and then put them in the fridge, take them out the next day and let them come to room temp then bake, or do I put them in the fridge after forming, then take them out the next day, let them come to room temp and then proof and bake?
Thank you
The Fishman

Reaction score
First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to baking or cooking, or anything else. You could form them and let them rise in the fridge. Cold doesn't kill yeast. Take them out and let them sit in the warmth of your kitchen for an hour or so, then bake them. Good luck with your Sunday lunch. Have fun.

Reaction score
PaddyL,
Thanx for the reply!
Would there be a big difference if I let them rise first and then put them in the fridge as opposed to letting them rise overnight in the fridge? Like in texture or taste?
I am always trying to learn, so please forgive me if this question seems redundant.
thanx again
Fishman

Reaction score
I think they might overrise in the fridge if you let them rise first, and they could possibly collapse before baking. And again, no question is redundant or stupid. When you don't know something, always ask.

Ask a Question