New at this

Reaction score
I bought myself an oven only 2 months back. Till before that I used a microwave to make mug cakes, lol. I've been experimenting with recipes almost every day and find that 4 out of 10 times my cakes and cookies turn out to be a success. How long does it take to master the art of baking? Did you find it hard to make perfect desserts when you were starting out, too? It gets frustrating sometimes, and I feel like I'll never be able to do it fully right ever. :(

Reaction score
I would say that depends on a lot of things. If you're following the recipe exactly, it's the recipes fault. or just the fact that we all have different tastes. There are billions of recipe out there and I for one, go through many before I find the right one for my particular taste. Do you know how many cake recipes I went through before I found one tolerable? lol. You may like baked good, but they aren't all created equally.

Now, if by non-success, you mean they're turning out terribly, we'd have to know how they're turning out exactly in order to be helpful. Could it be the bake time, the temp in your home, the ingredients, could it be your oven? It could be anything.

Congrats on the new oven by the way :)

Reaction score
If you are getting recipes online, then go for ones which have been rated highly by users and read through their comments - there are often tips and tricks worth noting! If you are working from a recipe book then be sure to read through the notes at the beginning, as there is often guidance about the recipes - eg oven temperatures may refer to a fan oven, they may specify the size of eggs they use, whether they use level or heaped teaspoons etc. Also try to start with easy things like sponge and cookies before moving on to more complicated recipes.

Something that isn't often talked about in recipes is how much you should work a mix once flour has been added. With a bread dough you want to work it a lot to build of the gluten. However with a cake/cupcake recipe you usually add it last, and you want to make sure you don't work it too much because it makes the cake too heavy.

I'm sure you are doing great! :)

Reaction score
Are you only using it for baking, or are you roasting meats and doing other stuff with it as well? As far as baking in general, it is not something meant to be "eyeballed" or "throw a little of this, a little of that" in like you're making a chili or something. You need to follow the instructions, amounts and ingredients to a T. Also take note of any special instructions if you are living in high altitude areas.

Once you start understanding the basics more, you will get a better hang of things. Such as what a greased baking sheet vs. non-greased will do to cookies, how baking powder works vs. baking soda, keeping dry and wet ingredients separate at first, etc...

Reaction score
Baking in an oven whether it is gas, electric or convection over, usually requires preheating time and set the pan in the middle of the oven to help it bakes evenly.

Besides, if you come from microwaving, you need to become familiar with the heating/baking times and temperatures for the different dishes, because you are probably somewhat lost at this point feeling like the recipes are asking too much time, or simply when you try to reheat something or to cook from the scratch.

Reaction score
Besides, if you come from microwaving, you need to become familiar with the heating/baking times and temperatures for the different dishes, because you are probably somewhat lost at this point feeling like the recipes are asking too much time, or simply when you try to reheat something or to cook from the scratch.

You just read my mind! I feel utterly frustrated by the amount of time an oven takes to work, since microwaves worked on a different level altogether. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and wait for the time to pass through! I think I'm getting a little used to it slowly, but it'll take more time than this. I'm so keen on seeing the perfect result that the interim between putting the batter inside and bringing it out is painful. I really need more patience. :oops:

Reaction score
Are you only using it for baking, or are you roasting meats and doing other stuff with it as well? As far as baking in general, it is not something meant to be "eyeballed" or "throw a little of this, a little of that" in like you're making a chili or something. You need to follow the instructions, amounts and ingredients to a T. Also take note of any special instructions if you are living in high altitude areas.

Once you start understanding the basics more, you will get a better hang of things. Such as what a greased baking sheet vs. non-greased will do to cookies, how baking powder works vs. baking soda, keeping dry and wet ingredients separate at first, etc...

I never considered the atmospheric conditions of my location during baking, the thought didn't occur to me at all. I do make it a point to follow the recipes exactly. Though sometimes when it says powdered sugar and I find I don't have it, I substitute with granulated sugar. Or suppose it says a particular kind of flour which I don't happen to have, I substitute with another kind. Could this be the reason then why they don't turn out well?

Reaction score
You just read my mind! I feel utterly frustrated by the amount of time an oven takes to work, since microwaves worked on a different level altogether. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and wait for the time to pass through! I think I'm getting a little used to it slowly, but it'll take more time than this. I'm so keen on seeing the perfect result that the interim between putting the batter inside and bringing it out is painful. I really need more patience. :oops:

Yes, I figured it out. I don't know if your oven has a timer. This can help you cope with the anxiety that produces see that it takes longer than a microwave. A stand-alone timer serves for the purpose at well.

With a timer you can "re-schedule" your mind while having time to do something else around the kitchen until oven is done with whatever is inside.

Reaction score
It wasn't easy at first because I was too lazy and I used to skip few steps. Sifting the ingredients like flour and icing sugar for instance; I have always thought it's unnecessary step, but once I started sifting I couldn't stop hehe! It depends on the what you are making, though. Overall, every time you bake you learn a thing or two. Start with following recipes and instructions exactly and after a while you can start making adjustments and it will be more of a second nature. And one more important thing, look for high rated recipes. That should give you more confidence because it's probably going to taste great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheryl N.

Latest Threads