Panicking! Do ground almonds go off?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody would be able to help me. I have just made some cupcakes with ground almond. The opened pack of ground almond I used was best before October 2017, but I thought it smelt ok and tasted of not much at all, but compared to a newer pack it may have tasted slightly bitter or of nothing at all. I went ahead and used the old stuff anyway, but now am panicking that my cakes are inedible as have rancid almonds in them and I may have eaten rancid almonds! Thank you in advance to anybody who is able to help!

Reaction score
If they were rancid you would know ;)

I used some ground almonds recently that were slightly out of date and they were fine. The date is just an estimate and they are often overly cautious because the vendor doesn't want to get sued. Trust your senses - if it looks fine, smells fine, and tastes fine, it's probably fine.

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody would be able to help me. I have just made some cupcakes with ground almond. The opened pack of ground almond I used was best before October 2017, but I thought it smelt ok and tasted of not much at all, but compared to a newer pack it may have tasted slightly bitter or of nothing at all. I went ahead and used the old stuff anyway, but now am panicking that my cakes are inedible as have rancid almonds in them and I may have eaten rancid almonds! Thank you in advance to anybody who is able to help!

It’s definitely rancid flour. October 2017 expiration is 9 months beyond the used by date. The oils in almond flour will begin to oxides as soon as the almonds are ground. Refrigerated almond flour is good for about 6 months from purchase; frozen it’s good for about a year from purchase.

The reason it’s not advisable to eat rancid flour is they are void of nutrients and can possible develop toxins. The amount and type of toxins isn’t clear. In truth absent lab analysis it’s impossible to know if your almond flour has toxins.

Ask a Question