Recommendations for Professional Thermometers

Reaction score
This is very true, I mean as DDT isn’t spoken about outside of professional circles, I’m assuming it would be difficult to find out the optimal batter temperatures for cookies, cakes etc. I wonder also if different flavour cakes so for example chocolate and vanilla have different optimal batter temperatures or whether they’re the same..

It’s not the flavor the cake that matters. It’s about the leavening, so in butter cakes where the butter is creamed, you want the temperature of your butter to be stay around 68°F (20°C). If the butter heats up a couple of degree above that, its too soft to expand and hold its shape. So it cannot effectively trap the gas bubbles created from the leavening. The cake ends up denser with a lower rise.

A cake leavened with whipped egg whites can lose volume if you are not careful about the temperature of the egg whites. While warm egg white beat up with more volume, colder whipped egg whites stay more elastic and do not collapse like warmer whipped egg whites. Most recipes state room temperature egg whites—whatever that is suppose to mean. Keep the egg whites and liquids around 68°F (20°C). When egg whites are beaten properly it will be a long slow process, so the friction will heat them up. So keeping your liquids at 68°F (20°C) will keep the egg whites cool in the batter and keep them from collapsing too quickly in the early stages of baking.

You notice how my cakes always rise to maximum height and never sink in the center—part of that is good formula, the other part is correct temperature. Just try to keep things around 68°F (20°C) and you will be fine.

9EC1E8EF-F476-4D6E-8F68-F235F92D4E38.jpeg

D36054E3-1852-42C8-A8DD-54CFF5BCE588.jpeg

Reaction score
It’s not the flavor the cake that matters. It’s about the leavening, so in butter cakes where the butter is creamed, you want the temperature of your butter to be stay around 68°F (20°C). If the butter heats up a couple of degree above that, its too soft to expand and hold its shape. So it cannot effectively trap the gas bubbles created from the leavening. The cake ends up denser with a lower rise.

A cake leavened with whipped egg whites can lose volume if you are not careful about the temperature of the egg whites. While warm egg white beat up with more volume, colder whipped egg whites stay more elastic and do not collapse like warmer whipped egg whites. Most recipes state room temperature egg whites—whatever that is suppose to mean. Keep the egg whites and liquids around 68°F (20°C). When egg whites are beaten properly it will be a long slow process, so the friction will heat them up. So keeping your liquids at 68°F (20°C) will keep the egg whites cool in the batter and keep them from collapsing too quickly in the early stages of baking.

You notice how my cakes always rise to maximum height and never sink in the center—part of that is good formula, the other part is correct temperature. Just try to keep things around 68°F (20°C) and you will be fine.

View attachment 3205

View attachment 3206

Great thanks!! so keep my cake batters around 20 degrees Celsius.

I’m curious to see how things will change using DDT, It’s quite exciting.

Reaction score
Great thanks!! so keep my cake batters around 20 degrees Celsius.

I’m curious to see how things will change using DDT, It’s quite exciting.

Remember when you’re using the Thermopen it is measuring the temperature as you insert the tip, So the reader changers because the temperature will change, especially of some thing that you are cooking. You have to look for the thermal center.

How to use your Thermopen correctly. Well the video focuses on cooking a steak, it applies to anything you’re cooking/baking.

Reaction score
Remember when you’re using the Thermopen it is measuring the temperature as you insert the tip, So the reader changers because the temperature will change, especially of some thing that you are cooking. You have to look for the thermal center.

How to use your Thermopen correctly. Well the video focuses on cooking a steak, it applies to anything you’re cooking/baking.

Thanks for this! Very useful!!

Ask a Question