Sourdough beginner's Tale: 1st Bread Attempt Failure...

Discussion in 'Bread' started by J13, Jun 16, 2019.

1. J13

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Yes a lot of new bakers don’t realize whole-wheat requires 100% hydration. It’s always a shocker. When I was first told that years ago I was like, “huh?:eek:

I think the 12% protein for your AP because rye and whole wheat flour are very weak flours. The gummy texture is due in part to the high hydration and low rise from the lower protein. The 12% protein will give you more gluten structure since you won’t get much help from the whole wheat and rye.

The WF 365 flour is Central Millings Beehive flour which is 10% - 10.5%. This flour is great for piecrust, muffins, biscuits dinner rolls, quick breads, pancakes, waffles, shortbread. And supposedly makes a really good baguette.

yeah when I was a kid my grandfather used to try to pawn off carob as chocolate:eek: He was a health food nut before there was such a movement. My grandmother was very conscious about what she cooked and served. But being a Southern country woman, Everything was fresh from the garden or orchard. She baked from scratch. So it was delicious. My mother could not cook. She was Japanese born and raised from a wealthy family. They had a cook so she nerve learned. Her cookies were horrible. They were rock hard. We used to have rock fights with them in the ally. You couldn’t eat them.

Oh my sister-in-law adds the pickle juice to my grandmother’s potato salad recipe. It seems to be a grandma thing:D I add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to the potatoes as they cooling. That’s in place of the pickle juice. That’s a trick I learned from ATK.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Norcalbaker59, Jul 2, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. J13

Yes good point about ambient temperature affecting the rise time. My house is really old wood house so there isn’t any good insulation in the walls. In the winter it’s very cold. In the summer it’s extremely hot.

I use my oven when the kitchen is really cold. Just leave it off, but turn the oven light on. The oven light seems to provide enough heat to help the dough rise in a decent amount of time.

1. Advertisements

3. J13

J13 Well-Known Member

Good point! I think part of my problem has been that for the first half of my sourdough journey the weather was unseasonably cold where I was. Now it’s warming up and I’m going to have to keep an eye on things.

Fascinating idea to leave it for 18 hours...I assume that’s out in the open? My recipe has it left for 16 hours but in the refrigerator for the final very slow rise.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    J13, Jul 2, 2019
  4. J13

J13 Well-Known Member

Bread flour it is then! Same as the first loaf but with different whole wheat. “Once more into the breech....”
    Well, into my “all purpose” container it goes for biscuits, scones, muffins and cookies. :D It has definitely gotten to the point where my bread-making flours and tools are tucked away separate from the usual baking flour and tools. I really don’t want to be searching around for the right white flour....
    Your poor mom. She much have had a huge culture shock coming to America and living such a different life with such different expectations.... :oops:
    Well, now you’ve got me thinking about potato salad. It is summer and I do love it. And yes, heresy though it might be to you, mine includes a touch of mustard. ;)

J13, Jul 2, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  5. J13

Lol I insist on making the potato salad because everyone adds that touch of mustard and I don’t like the mustard:p

6. J13

Chris Member

Yes, on the table at (cool) room temperature, but covered to stop it drying out. It was the first sourdough recipe I ever tried, and the easiest - and I still have more success with that one than the ones using a two-stage process, although it takes longer.

I take some starter out of the fridge (a couple of hours in advance to bring it to room temperature to wake it up if I remember, but if I forget it doesn't make a huge difference with such a long process), add water to it, then stir in the flour and some salt until it's a lumpy dough. Then I cover it. After 18 hours it still look like a lumpy dough that hasn't done much, but you'll find it's become very stretchy and will pass the windowpane test - so you can gently stretch and fold at this stage. Then I let it sit for another four hours and drop into a pre-headed very hot cast iron pot in a high oven to give it plenty of oven spring.

Because it's left for 18 hours initially, the really slow "rise" does the equivalent of kneading for you. However, I only get good results in the winter when it's cool. The faster rising (maybe 4 hours instead of 18) in summer months means you do need to stretch and shape every 45 mins or so to help it along.

Chris, Jul 3, 2019
    J13 likes this.
  7. J13

J13 Well-Known Member

This certainly sounds easy and flexible. Could you direct me to the recipe? I’m determined to make at least one decent loaf from the recipe I’m currently using :mad: (I will master it! I will!), but if it falls down yet again, I might as well start looking at other recipes. It isn’ that this one bothers me all that much (outside of the fact that I’ve overproofed it twice now :p), but on bread-Making-day I do feel like I can’t be out and about when I’d usually be out-and-about. A recipe like you’re would give me a chance to be free the hours I need to be, and making bread when I’m usually at home. Which would be helpful. It would also be helpful If it wouldn’t overproof :rolleyes:

J13, Jul 3, 2019
  8. J13

Chris Member

Sure - I use this recipe on the Breadtopia site (it has a video too). As you can see from the details on there, he's a bit vague about rising times - anything from 9 hours to 18 hours.

https://breadtopia.com/no-knead-bread/

Chris.

Chris, Jul 4, 2019
  9. J13

J13 Well-Known Member

Ah, it uses a touch of instant yeast. I'm trying to make this bread without that little helper, but I'm beginning to think I might have to give up on that lofty ambition.

J13, Jul 4, 2019
  10. J13

Chris Member

Apologies, I must have put in the wrong link! There's a starter-only version too that doesn't use instant yeast.

On my phone right now but will put in the correct link when I'm back at my desk.

Chris, Jul 4, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question