Spelt bread.

Reaction score
I have not been able to produce a Spelt bread that is soft and moist. My results so far have produced a dense, but dry, crumbly loaf which is not pleasing to eat. I have used a 'single flour' recipe as the start loaf, I have added to the next loafs, yogurt, sour cream, egg, and each baking has produced some measure of improvement. I have also started to use a 'single' in the pan rise, as my loafs were rising perfectly, until panned for a second rise, then start well on the second rise and then produce that flat brick loaf when baked. Do you have any suggestions, or particular recipes that you think I should try?

Reaction score
Donald - sounds like you're suffering from the spelt-disease! Last year's harvest was particularly poor and it's tough to make even a half decent loaf from that flour.
You might try adding a tip of a teaspoon of ascorbic acid (vitamin C ) - it works wonders. Also, spelt flour is very sensitive to over-mixing and you might try cutting down mixing time. I generally mix spelt for 4 mins and the loaves (until this year) have always turned out well.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Laurence,

Thank you for your reply and information. I am hoping to purchase new Spelt flour and will try again. I will have to familiarize myself with the harvest and milling season. I am thinking 'Jamies Mill' will have a good handle on when to purchase if that time has not already arrived.

Donald

Ask a Question