Has anyone ever made shortbread?

Reaction score
Hi there
I just wondered has anyone ever made traditional shortbread? If so, do you know why we need to put the whole rolled out dough into the oven without cutting them into shapes first? Yet with some cookies/biscuits we can use our cutters and make shapes before cutting them. Why is it with shortbread they say just slightly score the shape out with a knife but don't cut the shapes out?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi there
I just wondered has anyone ever made traditional shortbread? If so, do you know why we need to put the whole rolled out dough into the oven without cutting them into shapes first? Yet with some cookies/biscuits we can use our cutters and make shapes before cutting them. Why is it with shortbread they say just slightly score the shape out with a knife but don't cut the shapes out?

Thanks in advance

You can bake shortbread anywhere you want, in the traditional petticoats, which is baked in a circle, then cut into wedges.

Baked in a square, thin sliced into rectangles referred to as fingers.

Roll the dough into a log and chill. Then slice and bake.

Chill, roll the dough into a sheet, then cut into shapes with cutters.

There’s no rules

Reaction score
Yeah, I just do circles, or fingers if I want to dip into tea. Depending on your recipe and method, shortbread dough can expand quite a bit so if you’re looking for a precise shape, it’s better to score before cooking then cut as soon as it’s out of the oven and still soft. Chill your dough properly and you can mitigate this though. I think shortbread is traditionally made by pressing the dough into moulds, hence the method you describe. But as Norcal says, there’s no real reason why it has to be that way. You just might need to adjust baking time. A lot of people over-bake shortbread - it should barely have any colour to it at all. Do share a pic with us if you decide to make some!

Reaction score
Yeah, I just do circles, or fingers if I want to dip into tea. Depending on your recipe and method, shortbread dough can expand quite a bit so if you’re looking for a precise shape, it’s better to score before cooking then cut as soon as it’s out of the oven and still soft. Chill your dough properly and you can mitigate this though. I think shortbread is traditionally made by pressing the dough into moulds, hence the method you describe. But as Norcal says, there’s no real reason why it has to be that way. You just might need to adjust baking time. A lot of people over-bake shortbread - it should barely have any colour to it at all. Do share a pic with us if you decide to make some!
Thanks, it's just every recipe I have seen has just stuck in the oven as a rolled out sheet with scores on it. I will share some pics for sure if I make them. Is there anywhere on this forum where we can share pics of what we have made? I have baked one thing every week since New Year's Eve 2020.

Reaction score
Thanks, it's just every recipe I have seen has just stuck in the oven as a rolled out sheet with scores on it. I will share some pics for sure if I make them. Is there anywhere on this forum where we can share pics of what we have made? I have baked one thing every week since New Year's Eve 2020.
I think people do post on the relevant sections I.e. cake or bread but I’m not sure about a generic sharing thread. Just start your own! I’ve got one where I post all the little improvements I make.

Reaction score
I think people do post on the relevant sections I.e. cake or bread but I’m not sure about a generic sharing thread. Just start your own! I’ve got one where I post all the little improvements I make.
Really, okay I will look for that and see about sending photos of what I have made.

Reaction score

I discussed shortbread in a thread sometime ago. I posted pics fingers and some cutout cookies. Although I did not post detailed pics of the cutout cookies since the discussion was on the traditional shortbread. I also posted several formulas.

Reaction score
Really, okay I will look for that and see about sending photos of what I have made.
I discussed shortbread in a thread sometime ago. I posted pics fingers and some cutout cookies. Although I did not post detailed pics of the cutout cookies since the discussion was on the traditional shortbread. I also posted several formulas.

Thanks I will have a look. Were they shortbread and did you cut them out before you baked them?

Reaction score

Thanks I will have a look. Were they shortbread and did you cut them out before you baked them?

Yes I bake shortbread as part of my annual holiday bake.

Yes, when I do cutout cookies, I chill the dough, then roll it and cut out the cookies before they are baked.

I like to chill the cut cookies for about 20 minutes before I bake them as well.

When I bake petticoats or fingers, I may or may not chill the dough, depends on my mood.

Ask a Question