Steve,clueless from the uk lol

Reaction score
Hi ,I’m Steve,im51 from the uk and have never baked a cake before,I have just taught myself to bake bread which I think is nice,but want to learn how to bake cakes,I bought a Mary Berry book online to start off,any advice or tips will be grateful received,as I haven’t really got a clue lol
Many thanks
Steve

Reaction score
Hi ,I’m Steve,im51 from the uk and have never baked a cake before,I have just taught myself to bake bread which I think is nice,but want to learn how to bake cakes,I bought a Mary Berry book online to start off,any advice or tips will be grateful received,as I haven’t really got a clue lol
Many thanks
Steve

welcome to the forum. We all have to start somewhere. And if you bake bread you’re really not clueless.

Reaction score
Thankyou for the kind words joking apart,I’ve just ordered some new 20 cm round tins as all the recipes in this Mary Berry book I’ve got are predominately based on that size,the tins I have are huge,no good for a single person I’d waste to Much or end up giving most away ,I’ve ordered an electric food mixer,and a new set of wooden spoons too,I have the rest I think if I dig deep enough,I’ve always loved cooking but I’ve never baked,until I learned how to make a reasonable loaf of bread that is,it was terrible at first but about 20 bags of flour later and working my oven temperature out I got there,so I’m looking foreword to my equipment to come and I’m going to attempt a basic Victoria sponge first,I’ll stick with that until It’s good enough to offer someone a peice lol,thankyou for the reply it was very kind
Steve.

Reaction score
Many thanks
Steve
Hi Stephen. I've just joined the site and I've no idea if I'm stepping out of line, but if you're new to baking I'm involved in teaching a computer, called knibl, how to cook. There's a free baking version on the App Store called 'knibl Bake' we're using for people like you, and the more proficient, to teach us, to teach knibl. Feel free to download it and tell me what you think.

Reaction score
Many thanks
Steve
Without a shadow of doubt the biggest cause of problems is a newbie doesn't follow the recipe, they have an idea to change something .
I gave a buddy a recipe for viennese twirls, he said they baked into one big sheet of wafer like dough, all the cookies melted into each other.
He though the batter was too thin so added more sugar to thicken it. !

I fell for the knowitall trap myself the first day on the job decades ago.
I watched the chef pour quiche filling into the mold and believed it was too liquid to ever bake up firm enough to slice.
I had zero experience mind you, just thought I knew better than the chef who was one of the best out of Paris.
When the quiche came out of the oven they were perfectly set, made me realize theres a lot more going on .

Ask a Question