Recommendations for Professional Thermometers

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone able to recommend a professional grade dough thermometer and a professional grade liquid thermometer?

Thanks

Reaction score
There is no such
Hello,

Anyone able to recommend a professional grade dough thermometer and a professional grade liquid thermometer?

Thanks

There is no such thing as a liquid thermometer. A thermometers is a thermometer.

The only difference among thermometers is the features. A thermometer that is used for frying or sugar work will have a higher temperature range up to 400°F (200°C). You can either use a probe thermometer that has an attachment to clip to the side of a pan, or an encased thermometer.

A basic kitchen thermometer frequently have a temperature range that tops out around 350°F (170°C).

i’ve mentioned before ThermoWorks (called ETI in UK) thermometers are the ones most commonly used in commercial kitchens.

They’re very expensive. And you have to be careful not to buy them through Amazon or any unauthorized dealer because they are counterfeit. In the US they clearly state they will not honor any warranty of any thermometer purchased on Amazon or any unauthorized 3 party.

They do not run sales except directly through their manufacture website. So if you see one on some third-party website on sale it’s a counterfeit. They don’t discount their products for other retailers. And the only retailers that can sell their products are authorized retailers. But if you’re going to buy through an authorized retailer you might as well buy directly through the company.

Their customer service, at least in the US is exceptional. I posted a comment on their website. The next day a customer service representative contacted me.

You do not want to use an infrared thermometer that takes the surface temperature. That’s fine for things like roasting coffee. Not for taking the internal temperature of food.

An example of a probe thermometer is ThermoWorks ChefAlarm. I have two size probes for that alarm.

I also have their Thermopen Mk4. Im going to get a pocket thermometer and a humidity meter. I had their Thermopop, which I gave to my sister. My brother uses their infrared thermometer for his coffee roasting business. I also have one their multiple alarms.

Reaction score
There is no such

There is no such thing as a liquid thermometer. A thermometers is a thermometer.

The only difference among thermometers is the features. A thermometer that is used for frying or sugar work will have a higher temperature range up to 400°F (200°C). You can either use a probe thermometer that has an attachment to clip to the side of a pan, or an encased thermometer.

A basic kitchen thermometer frequently have a temperature range that tops out around 350°F (170°C).

i’ve mentioned before ThermoWorks (called ETI in UK) thermometers are the ones most commonly used in commercial kitchens.

They’re very expensive. And you have to be careful not to buy them through Amazon or any unauthorized dealer because they are counterfeit. In the US they clearly state they will not honor any warranty of any thermometer purchased on Amazon or any unauthorized 3 party.

They do not run sales except directly through their manufacture website. So if you see one on some third-party website on sale it’s a counterfeit. They don’t discount their products for other retailers. And the only retailers that can sell their products are authorized retailers. But if you’re going to buy through an authorized retailer you might as well buy directly through the company.

Their customer service, at least in the US is exceptional. I posted a comment on their website. The next day a customer service representative contacted me.

You do not want to use an infrared thermometer that takes the surface temperature. That’s fine for things like roasting coffee. Not for taking the internal temperature of food.

An example of a probe thermometer is ThermoWorks ChefAlarm. I have two size probes for that alarm.

I also have their Thermopen Mk4. Im going to get a pocket thermometer and a humidity meter. I had their Thermopop, which I gave to my sister. My brother uses their infrared thermometer for his coffee roasting business. I also have one their multiple alarms.

Thanks for that, I think I will aim to get this one as precision is key and it’s a false economy to buy a rubbish thermometer as I’ll only end up having to purchase a more expensive one anyway.

It’s coming up £80 lol which is around $100 due to shipping. So yh pricey!

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I think I will aim to get this one as precision is key and it’s a false economy to buy a rubbish thermometer as I’ll only end up having to purchase a more expensive one anyway.

It’s coming up £80 lol which is around $100 due to shipping. So yh pricey!

Thanks

Yes, extremely expensive. I did not purchase the Mk4 until last year because I thought the price was ridiculously high. But I have so many other expensive tools, and I had other models by them, so I finally decided to buy it.

Reaction score
From what I understand the Thermapen Mk4 is the gold standard of what's used in professional kitchens, so I have it on my wish list of baking accessories to buy! I currently actually use the ThermoPro meat thermometer as my multi-purpose thermometer since it's fairly cheap and is the most versatile. You can of course use it as a leave-in probe thermometer for cooking meats (its intended usage), but you can also use it as an instant thermometer (though it takes a few seconds to get the reading) and it has an advertised upper temperature range of above 550°F (288°C), which means it can be used for sugar syrups or deep-frying too.

The ChefAlarm seems like a higher-end probe thermometer, so I think it'll always be a good buy. Though if you don't care about the leave-in capability, can't go wrong with the Thermapen. I think the ThermoPop is essentially a cheaper Thermapen (made by same company, also a pocket thermometer), but if it's something you'll be usually regularly (I assume for your doughnuts?), might as well make the investment for the Thermapen.

Reaction score
Yes for my doughnuts!

I’ve just ordered this, which I can now see isn’t the mk4, grrrr! The mk4 wasn’t coming up.

Should I cancel the sale or send it back?

The quality of your tools is so important! No sense in buying a lame thermometer.

Reaction score
OMG I really am not awake enough it’s 2am here!

It says oven thermometer, I’m so silly. I’ll have it contact them before the ship it

Reaction score
From what I understand the Thermapen Mk4 is the gold standard of what's used in professional kitchens, so I have it on my wish list of baking accessories to buy! I currently actually use the ThermoPro meat thermometer as my multi-purpose thermometer since it's fairly cheap and is the most versatile. You can of course use it as a leave-in probe thermometer for cooking meats (its intended usage), but you can also use it as an instant thermometer (though it takes a few seconds to get the reading) and it has an advertised upper temperature range of above 550°F (288°C), which means it can be used for sugar syrups or deep-frying too.

The ChefAlarm seems like a higher-end probe thermometer, so I think it'll always be a good buy. Though if you don't care about the leave-in capability, can't go wrong with the Thermapen. I think the ThermoPop is essentially a cheaper Thermapen (made by same company, also a pocket thermometer), but if it's something you'll be usually regularly (I assume for your doughnuts?), might as well make the investment for the Thermapen.

It’s on your wish list! That’s how I felt about my kitchen aid. I wanted one for years

Reaction score
@LamsMekk The ChefAlarm you ordered is still fine. The description says "oven thermometer", but you can see that it's still a probe thermometer, i.e. you stick the pointy end into something and it measures the temperature. Probe thermometers are mainly used for meats, as since the probe is connected by a long cable to the body, you can stick the thermometer in the meat while it's cooking in the oven (hence the "oven thermometer" in the description) and it'll continually track the internal temperature of the meat.

But it can also essentially be used the same way as a Thermapen or any other pocket thermometer, just it probably won't give as fast of a reading (may take a couple seconds longer), and more unwieldy since there's a long cable you'll have to deal with, rather than the more compact design of a pocket thermometer.

So the question is: will you need your thermometer to also track the temperature of something that's being baked in the oven, or otherwise need to leave the thermometer in something to track the internal temperature over a long period of time? Then go with a leave-in probe thermometer (i.e. the ChefAlarm you just ordered), as it can do that plus all the functionalities of a pocket thermometer, just not necessarily as well as a dedicated one. Otherwise, if you only need an instant-read pocket thermometer, then the Thermapen appears to be a good investment to make.

Note: For tracking the temperature of oil for deep frying purposes, I'm not sure which one would be best. On one hand, you can clip a leave-in thermometer onto your pot (my thermometer didn't come with a clip, but I can achieve virtually the same with a binder clip) and have it continually track the temperature of the oil, so it'll basically function the same as a candy thermometer. However, if you aren't able to clip your thermometer on, then an instant-read thermometer would be more convenient.

I'm not super knowledgeable about thermometers though, this is mostly just what I've read online. @Norcalbaker59 or if anyone else knows better, then feel free to correct me!

A stand mixer was also on my wish list before too! Though I only started baking less than a year ago, so hasn't been on my wish list for as long haha. I actually got my KitchenAid Pro 600 a couple months back since it was on sale, and have loved having it ever since. It's not just more convenient, but can also do tasks that a hand mixer simply physically can't!

Reaction score
@LamsMekk The ChefAlarm you ordered is still fine. The description says "oven thermometer", but you can see that it's still a probe thermometer, i.e. you stick the pointy end into something and it measures the temperature. Probe thermometers are mainly used for meats, as since the probe is connected by a long cable to the body, you can stick the thermometer in the meat while it's cooking in the oven (hence the "oven thermometer" in the description) and it'll continually track the internal temperature of the meat.

But it can also essentially be used the same way as a Thermapen or any other pocket thermometer, just it probably won't give as fast of a reading (may take a couple seconds longer), and more unwieldy since there's a long cable you'll have to deal with, rather than the more compact design of a pocket thermometer.

So the question is: will you need your thermometer to also track the temperature of something that's being baked in the oven, or otherwise need to leave the thermometer in something to track the internal temperature over a long period of time? Then go with a leave-in probe thermometer (i.e. the ChefAlarm you just ordered), as it can do that plus all the functionalities of a pocket thermometer, just not necessarily as well as a dedicated one. Otherwise, if you only need an instant-read pocket thermometer, then the Thermapen appears to be a good investment to make.

Note: For tracking the temperature of oil for deep frying purposes, I'm not sure which one would be best. On one hand, you can clip a leave-in thermometer onto your pot (my thermometer didn't come with a clip, but I can achieve virtually the same with a binder clip) and have it continually track the temperature of the oil, so it'll basically function the same as a candy thermometer. However, if you aren't able to clip your thermometer on, then an instant-read thermometer would be more convenient.

I'm not super knowledgeable about thermometers though, this is mostly just what I've read online. @Norcalbaker59 or if anyone else knows better, then feel free to correct me!

A stand mixer was also on my wish list before too! Though I only started baking less than a year ago, so hasn't been on my wish list for as long haha. I actually got my KitchenAid Pro 600 a couple months back since it was on sale, and have loved having it ever since. It's not just more convenient, but can also do tasks that a hand mixer simply physically can't!

Yes for my doughnuts!

I’ve just ordered this, which I can now see isn’t the mk4, grrrr! The mk4 wasn’t coming up.

Should I cancel the sale or send it back?

The quality of your tools is so important! No sense in buying a lame thermometer.

I actually have ChefAlarm thermometer as well. And this is what I use for sugar work, deep frying, and roasting. I have two probes, The original probe that came with it and I’ve purchased a second longer 12”
probe for deeper pots.

The clip to attach it to the side of the pot may seem a little tricky. It may seem like it doesn’t fit on the probe. You pinch it tight and then slide it over the probe.

But once you it if you decide it’s not what you want I’m pretty sure you can send it back no problem. They have exceptional customer service. Trust me their customer service is like few companies you will ever deal with.

if you have any questions about the product you’re confused about anything just send them an email and they will get back to you. They are very responsive.

Reaction score
I actually have ChefAlarm thermometer as well. And this is what I use for sugar work, deep frying, and roasting. I have two probes, The original probe that came with it and I’ve purchased a second longer 12”
probe for deeper pots.

The clip to attach it to the side of the pot may seem a little tricky. It may seem like it doesn’t fit on the probe. You pinch it tight and then slide it over the probe.

But once you it if you decide it’s not what you want I’m pretty sure you can send it back no problem. They have exceptional customer service. Trust me their customer service is like few companies you will ever deal with.

if you have any questions about the product you’re confused about anything just send them an email and they will get back to you. They are very responsive.

I definitely want the thermometer that is perfect for what I’m doing so I have emailed them. I’m hoping they do respond ASAP as shipping to the U.K. is expensive, It added $30 to the price with tax.

I had initially also planned to purchase a Brod and Taylor proofing box but then I realised that it’s too small to proof my cut out doughnuts and these are where the issue lie. I’m find proofing the dough but it’s when I proof them the second time that they don’t always rise as well.

Let’s hope that thermoworks get back to me ASAP! I’ll be checking my email regularly.

A famous cooking judge in the U.K. said that the two most important things for a homemaker to own are an accurate set of scales and an accurate thermometer.

I’ve not done any doughnut making for a while as I’m not going to waste anymore time or money until I have all of the correct equipment.

Reaction score
I definitely want the thermometer that is perfect for what I’m doing so I have emailed them. I’m hoping they do respond ASAP as shipping to the U.K. is expensive, It added $30 to the price with tax.

I had initially also planned to purchase a Brod and Taylor proofing box but then I realised that it’s too small to proof my cut out doughnuts and these are where the issue lie. I’m find proofing the dough but it’s when I proof them the second time that they don’t always rise as well.

Let’s hope that thermoworks get back to me ASAP! I’ll be checking my email regularly.

A famous cooking judge in the U.K. said that the two most important things for a homemaker to own are an accurate set of scales and an accurate thermometer.

I’ve not done any doughnut making for a while as I’m not going to waste anymore time or money until I have all of the correct equipment.

I don’t know what their hours are for the weekend, but they are so responsive to their customers they took the initiative to contact me after I posted a comment on a review.

They keep customer info in their system so when you post a review if they feel there’s something that should be resolved, they will contact you directly. They both called and emailed me. They really stand behind their products And they want to make sure that. and they collect data to improve their products for the future.

Reaction score
probe for deeper pots.

I definitely want the thermometer that is perfect for what I’m doing do I have emailed them. Shipping is super pricey to the UK so I’m hoping they get back to me ASAP!

If I’m going to spend so much then I want the right one otherwise it’ll annoy me ..

I had also planned to order a

Reaction score
I sent an email to the customer service rep that I’ve been in contact with. I asked him to look up your email and to please contact you.

Reaction score
☺️☺️☺️

Attachments

• 911EFBB2-8E5E-43D6-A59B-CE2EC5E8A5AB.png
    911EFBB2-8E5E-43D6-A59B-CE2EC5E8A5AB.png
    336 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
There are so many and none of them are labelled mk4. Really don’t want to end up buying the wrong one again!

I did email to ask where I can find a genuine one in the UK but I’ve just clicked the link of the email that they responded and realised that they have a whole company over here which is great.

Ask a Question