A very chocolate-y chocolate cake (plus dairy free version)

Reaction score
I made a chocolate cake for my father-in-law the other day, and I wanted to share it here because we've been talking about chocolate cake recipes (topic here). I love chocolate cake, but I always struggle finding recipes that I like - they're either light but don't taste of much, or way too heavy.

I found a recipe that looked promising, and it's by one of my favourite food writers:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...nov/21/how-to-cook-the-perfect-chocolate-cake

Given the fact that my husband is allergic to milk I decided to make it dairy free so that he could partake. I swapped the butter for high-fat margarine, the milk for hazelnut milk, and I also left out the chocolate chips. Everything else (including the method) I followed exactly, and the cake was ready when the temperature measured 93 deg C.

The cakes looked a little flat when they came out of the oven, but once the cake was assembled it was fine. I added ground Oreos to the icing, plus the extra on the top. I didn't put the buttercream on the sides of the cake due to the fact it had to survive a long car journey, which was a good call because it slid around inside the box!

I'm happy to report that the cake was delicious :D The melted dark chocolate plus all the cocoa powder makes for a very strong chocolate flavour, but the texture of the cake was surprisingly light (it looked like it would be a lot more dense). Here are some photos:

chocolate cake 1.jpg

chocolate cake 2.jpg

Not the most beauteous creation, but it made up for it in flavour! Forgot to take a photo of the inside, it was gobbled up too quickly :D

Reaction score
Absolutely :) I'm hoping that next time I can make it look a bit prettier though - I think a paler frosting would add more contrast, and the cake is so chocolatey that it doesn't necessarily need chocolate frosting too. Vanilla or orange (or both?!) frosting would work well.

Ask a Question