All kinds of slices!

Reaction score
Reaction score
I've never heard of 'slice' before. I guess that's an Australian term/dish? The lemon one looks sort of like carrot cake, only miniature. Are the slices about the same height as a typical cake, or lower? The chocolate peppermint one looks absolutely heavenly. I'm keeping that recipe :D.

Reaction score
Well I am just like @Diane Lane and I have never heard them as "slices" before, but after seeing the picture I can see the excitement that you have. I love little squares like this, and I am thinking that that is what we call them here - squares. You can get lemon squares and other types, so I think that is the same thing. Thanks for the share though, and I am craving some of those lemon ones right about now.

Reaction score
Yeah, we call those "squares" here in the South. Lemon Squares, Pecan Pie Squares, etc....

I dont like peppermint, but I love regular mint with chocolate!!!

Reaction score
I do like squares, and have made various types in the past, but from what I saw in the pictures, these looked more like actual slices than squares. I think maybe it's a new type of dessert based on the trend toward small things. Many people are concerned with weight and health, so making slices or squares is a way of controlling portion size, at least for those who don't go back for seconds and thirds. I do this myself by buying multi-packs of fun sized candy bars, because if I save money by buying a huge candy bar & trying to break a piece off, I end up taking too much, or going back for more.

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I have never made or had a slice before, but it looks like something right up my alley! I guess as other posters say, "squares" is probably a term used for something similar in the U.S., but slices seem thinner from the two recipes that you posted links to in the original post. Would you agree with that statement?

Reaction score
What I can relate to those slices are the special brownies that I buy from the (upscale) village bakeshop. That brownie is the expensive one because the toppings is walnut and there is a caramelized chocolate inside the layer. Another favorite is the pastry called yema cake which is like a square macaroon with milky flan for the toppings but the base is chiffon like in texture. I would love to sample that slice in the link.

Ask a Question