Bakery or hotel internship

Reaction score
Dear All: Our son will be completing his bread/pastry certificate next year and will be seeking a year long internship. He is eager to work at a bakery, and we are eager to have him intern at a hotel, e.g., Marriott. What would all of you advise?

Reaction score
The school should help him with placement. A large commercial hotel kitchen may not be the best place for him.

contact hotbreadkitchen.org

They work primarily with disadvantage women, training then for jobs in bakery and food industry. They’re based in New York. Just explain your son’s situation and your need to find resources and support for transitioning him into the workplace. Even if they cannot provide services for him, they may be able to direct you to resources for him.

Reaction score
When I started, I used hotbreadkitchen.org just like a friend sent a link and it taught me very well

Reaction score
Dear All: Our son will be completing his bread/pastry certificate next year and will be seeking a year long internship. He is eager to work at a bakery, and we are eager to have him intern at a hotel, e.g., Marriott. What would all of you advise?
I served a 5 year apprenticeship in a small french patisserie , after that I went to the Ritz, I left the Ritz after 2 hours and returned to my old job, the chef said I told you, he was right, they suck.

The skill level in hotels is way down the scale, they couldn't tell you how much a bag of flour cost, they don't care and they'll never own their own business.

I'd say he knows what he's doing and doesn't need any advice. You do.
Let him run with it.

Ask a Question