At home bakery

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first time on this site and I'm hoping everyone or anyone can help me with my hopefully new business. I want to start with an at home bakery with a website and I guess what I'm looking for some advice from those that have or had at home bakery. Pro and cons.

I still have a lot to work out detail wise and all but I don't want to get to excited if this isn't a good idea.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first time on this site and I'm hoping everyone or anyone can help me with my hopefully new business. I want to start with an at home bakery with a website and I guess what I'm looking for some advice from those that have or had at home bakery. Pro and cons.

I still have a lot to work out detail wise and all but I don't want to get to excited if this isn't a good idea.

If you are in the US, you need to look up the laws in your state on Cottage Food Operators. Its not always easy to find.

Google Cottage Food Laws Name of State. It might be under the state‘s agriculture department or public health department (see example of two states below).

Nearly all states regulate production and sale of food from in a home kitchen. The restrictions are not as stringent as those for a commercial kitchen, but to prevent food borne illness means you’ll have to be in compliance with your state laws. Some states, like the state of California require a certification in safe food handling. There are companies that provide online courses and certification test.

Some states and counties require an inspection of the home kitchen.

Since food borne disease is an issue, most states limit the foods that can be produced and sold in a home kitchen. The allowed foods based on water activity level. If you are not sure what water activity level is, see link below.

Most states will not allow you to sell food prepared in a home kitchen over the Internet. Some will allow you to take an order over the Internet, but delivery must be made to the customer in person. The reasons have to with prevention of Foodborne illness. And every state regulates the commerce in their state. The regulations To produce food in a home kitchen in California are different than those in Georgia. So cottage food operators cannot sell state to state because each state has a right to determine their own regulations. also shipment poses its own problems. Fresh baked goods must be held at certain temperatures so it does not develop harmful bacteria. Carriers cannot guarantee packed food will not be subjected to extreme temperatures. So states do not allow food to be shipped by home bakers since they do not have the equipment and/or knowledge to prepare and package food for shipment.

So if you live in the United States you need to begin by researching the cottage food laws in your state.

Florida is under the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

California is under the Department of Public Health

Water activity (aw)

Reaction score
If you are in the US, you need to look up the laws in your state on Cottage Food Operators. Its not always easy to find.

Google Cottage Food Laws Name of State. It might be under the state‘s agriculture department or public health department (see example of two states below).

Nearly all states regulate production and sale of food from in a home kitchen. The restrictions are not as stringent as those for a commercial kitchen, but to prevent food borne illness means you’ll have to be in compliance with your state laws. Some states, like the state of California require a certification in safe food handling. There are companies that provide online courses and certification test.

Some states and counties require an inspection of the home kitchen.

Since food borne disease is an issue, most states limit the foods that can be produced and sold in a home kitchen. The allowed foods based on water activity level. If you are not sure what water activity level is, see link below.

Most states will not allow you to sell food prepared in a home kitchen over the Internet. Some will allow you to take an order over the Internet, but delivery must be made to the customer in person. The reasons have to with prevention of Foodborne illness. And every state regulates the commerce in their state. The regulations To produce food in a home kitchen in California are different than those in Georgia. So cottage food operators cannot sell state to state because each state has a right to determine their own regulations. also shipment poses its own problems. Fresh baked goods must be held at certain temperatures so it does not develop harmful bacteria. Carriers cannot guarantee packed food will not be subjected to extreme temperatures. So states do not allow food to be shipped by home bakers since they do not have the equipment and/or knowledge to prepare and package food for shipment.

So if you live in the United States you need to begin by researching the cottage food laws in your state.

Florida is under the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

California is under the Department of Public Health

Water activity (aw)

Thank you that's very helpful!

Reaction score
sp 08.jpg
SP5.png

For reliability, start with one of THESE MIXERS. They are both commercially rated & will give you longevity in the kitchen. The one at the top has a 1/4 hp Motor. The one at the bottom has a 800-watt motor. Both are NSF qualified. I have them both!! The Hobart N-50 is too ridiculously expensive!! :)

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hi Vchuk, I had a homebased bakery in Charlotte, NC for four years. Please message me with your questions. I'm more than happy to share what I know.

Ask a Question