Banana Bread made with mayonaise

Reaction score
I found a recipe for banana bread made with mayonaise (not Miracle Whip). I tried it and it was so good,,, nice and moist,,, that I wanted to share it. I will definitly be using it again,,, it is nice beause if you have no oil or butter to use when making banana bread, this calls for none.

Mayonaise banana bread
preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ~

In a large bowl, combine:

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)

3 to 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (3 if they’re really big, 4 if they’re smallish)

1 and 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon sea salt

Generously butter a 9×5 loaf pan. Mix everything until just combined.
Don’t over-mix. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top and bake in
350 degree oven for 55 to 65 minutes–just until a toothpick or wooden
skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs stuck to it when inserted into
the center of the loaf. Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a
wire rack to cool the rest of the way. Enjoy slightly warm, at room temperature or cold.

Reaction score
I've heard of people making a variety of baked goods using mayonnaise, and they have all mentioned how moist the final product is as a result. I don't really care for mayonnaise but I guess I could handle it in a baked good since you wouldn't have that stereotypical mayo taste to the product.

Reaction score
I wander what taste does this combination make. Mayo and bananas. I never made something like this or tried. At least that I know of. I ate banana breads but I didn't ask if it was made with mayonnaise. Anyhow, it really sounds interesting when I think about flavours and the whole process. Can you tell me if you can feel the mayonnaise taste when you eat this bread?

Reaction score
I've heard about this before, but I never heard of it being used to make banana bread ;) I've heard it's amazing with cakes, but knowing it's also amazing when used to make banana bread it's so cool! I might experiment a bit with this later on.

Reaction score
I wander what taste does this combination make. Mayo and bananas. I never made something like this or tried. At least that I know of. I ate banana breads but I didn't ask if it was made with mayonnaise. Anyhow, it really sounds interesting when I think about flavours and the whole process. Can you tell me if you can feel the mayonnaise taste when you eat this bread?

When you make a cake or bread with mayo you are not supposed to taste the mayo ;) I know because I've tried with chocolate cakes and it's amazing, people often use mayo because it makes cakes very moist, but no one can really detect the flavour. This is more like a baker's tip for very moist cakes ;)

Reaction score
When you make a cake or bread with mayo you are not supposed to taste the mayo ;) I know because I've tried with chocolate cakes and it's amazing, people often use mayo because it makes cakes very moist, but no one can really detect the flavour. This is more like a baker's tip for very moist cakes ;)
I like it a lot. Thanks. I will have to try this very soon. So instead of regular oil you put mayo? Any mayonnaise is okay or are there some better than the others? you got my attention with this and I will google for more info. thanks again.

Reaction score
I've heard of people making chocolate cakes with mayonnaise, and they've raved about how moist and delicious they are. I don't use a lot of mayonnaise, but I think this is one recipe I would try. I make a lot of banana bread here, and have used various recipes. The last few I've made have been a little dry in my opinion, although others seemed to enjoy them. I might have to use this recipe next time, assuming I remember to buy mayonnaise when I pick up bananas. I've been wanting to keep more on hand anyway, since I need it for coleslaw, which I've been making quite a bit.

Reaction score
I have tried it with cakes. It completely alters the texture and makes them incredibly moist. It makes a boxed cake mix taste more like a homemade cake, so I presume it would also be great for banana bread or other "quick breads." I'm not too sure about muffins though. They might be too moist (if there is such a thing) and fall apart.

Reaction score
Mayonnaise in baking sounds so foreign to me. When I was younger I did not associate mayo with any kind of heat and now it is right there in the oven? Interesting I would say. It might take me a while to join this bang wagon.

Reaction score
I love eating bananas and I also love using mayonnaise in some of my cooking. That is why I think this recipe for banana bread with mayonnaise will interest my taste. I will surely try this one. And thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Reaction score
Mayo with anything will probably add a lot of good flavor since there is a lot of fat in it. I could see the texture being really moist and creamy. Never thought of using it though in my baked breads.

Reaction score
I like it a lot. Thanks. I will have to try this very soon. So instead of regular oil you put mayo? Any mayonnaise is okay or are there some better than the others? you got my attention with this and I will google for more info. thanks again.

Yes, instead of the oil and the eggs. But some people still use one egg just to be sure. And the mayo brand doesn't matter at all :) I usually use one to half cup mayo, but the quantity depends a lot on the recipe. I actually love doing this with boxed mixes.

Reaction score
Mayonnaise in baking sounds so foreign to me. When I was younger I did not associate mayo with any kind of heat and now it is right there in the oven? Interesting I would say. It might take me a while to join this bang wagon.

I hear you. I was totally put off by this idea at first myself, but if you think about it... mayo is made of eggs and oil, and you are using it to replace the eggs and oil in the recipe. It actually works very well, and no one has become sick here from doing it.

I admit that I don't let anyone see me adding it to stuff though. :p

Now, I'm wondering if whipping eggs and oil together before adding them would have a similar effect. Hmmmm.

Reaction score
I hear you. I was totally put off by this idea at first myself, but if you think about it... mayo is made of eggs and oil, and you are using it to replace the eggs and oil in the recipe. It actually works very well, and no one has become sick here from doing it.

I admit that I don't let anyone see me adding it to stuff though. :p

Now, I'm wondering if whipping eggs and oil together before adding them would have a similar effect. Hmmmm.

It probably would. I've been reading that a lot of people are making their own mayonnaise. I am sure if any of the people close to me see me adding it to my baking it would raise a few eye brows. Without humility, I am one of the best in the kitchen in my circle of friends, so the good thing is that if I am doing it. it has to be something that's working. Before I bake, mayo I will make.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, instead of the oil and the eggs. But some people still use one egg just to be sure. And the mayo brand doesn't matter at all :) I usually use one to half cup mayo, but the quantity depends a lot on the recipe. I actually love doing this with boxed mixes.

I think the rule of thumb is to use the same amount of mayo as you would have used of oil, but leave out the eggs. Personally, I think it should be a bit less, and that's what I do. If it calls for 1/3 cup of oil or whatever, I use a bit less than that by a tablespoon or two. I just almost fill up the measuring cup, but not quite. Sorry, I don't have an exact... that's about as helpful of a tip that I can currently offer. :p

Reaction score
I think the rule of thumb is to use the same amount of mayo as you would have used of oil, but leave out the eggs. Personally, I think it should be a bit less, and that's what I do. If it calls for 1/3 cup of oil or whatever, I use a bit less than that by a tablespoon or two. I just almost fill up the measuring cup, but not quite. Sorry, I don't have an exact... that's about as helpful of a tip that I can currently offer. :p

That is a good enough tip, to be honest sometimes I felt I was using a little too much mayo. It's been a while I don't bake, but next time I will try using less mayo. Maybe that is why the last time I tried my cake had a kind of odd consistency, lol.

Reaction score
Yep, some of my stuff actually came out gooey, so I started dialing back the mayo a bit when I use it. Who ever thought too moist would be a thing? Well, I'm glad I could help a bit, even if it is a kind of hit or miss tip. I guess it just takes a bit of experimenting to get the perfect amount.

Reaction score
Wow mayo in banana bread? There's always something new to learn. Normally I bake with greek yogurt which makes them really moist but I'm definately going to try this.

Ask a Question