Birthday cake fun...

Reaction score
Wanted to share a BB8 Star Wars cake I did for DS's birthday this weekend - hopefully you guys can see the photo ok!

I just did a basic yellow cake but after baking I poked holes all over and then poured on a mixture of orange jello (dissolved in 1 cup hot water) mixed with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Turned out super yummy! Just did basic cream cheese frosting then used Reese's Pieces, etc. to do the decorating part.

I was stressing because to get the right sized circle shapes I had to use a silicone pan and then a small round casserole dish I lined with parchment paper. Had to guess on the cook times - just kept an eye on them until they started to smell done. Then I had to repeat with the other half of the batter since I only had one pan of each size.

All in all though it wasn't too bad! I frosted on the crumb layer first and chilled a while - that really helped! Will always do that from now on!

Wish I had reasons to bake cakes more often!

Attachments

• 20180202_210356.jpg
    20180202_210356.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
That’s a cute cake. Like you I love baking cakes, but only make them for special occasions.

Reaction score
That's fantastic! I bet everyone must have been so happy :)

Wish I had reasons to bake cakes more often!

Haha I know what you mean! I know a lot of people who have tried to set up their own cake businesses, but there isn't much of a market for it locally because so many other people have the same idea. I think they just want an excuse to bake more cakes :D

Ask a Question