Birthday Cake helllppp! (Cotton Candy)

Reaction score
I am so hoping someone can help me. I have the grand idea to make my daughter's first birthday cakes cotton candy flavor. Here's where I'm running into an issue: locally, there are no shops who sell cotton candy flavoring; I don't have time to order and receive the flavoring should I order it. Duncan Hines cotton candy flavored mixes are not available nor are those flavoring packets I adored. I had the idea for two other options: somehow incorporate actual cotton candy into the batter of the cake and in the icing OR I have these red bird cotton candy flavored candy puffs. They are made with cane sugar and seem like they would melt rather easily. My concern is that I don't want to throw off the scientific ratios and have the cake and/or icing turn out all wrong and gross. Any ideas of methods I can use to have the flavor using these items without compromising the quality of the cake and icing? I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Reaction score
I am so hoping someone can help me. I have the grand idea to make my daughter's first birthday cakes cotton candy flavor. Here's where I'm running into an issue: locally, there are no shops who sell cotton candy flavoring; I don't have time to order and receive the flavoring should I order it. Duncan Hines cotton candy flavored mixes are not available nor are those flavoring packets I adored. I had the idea for two other options: somehow incorporate actual cotton candy into the batter of the cake and in the icing OR I have these red bird cotton candy flavored candy puffs. They are made with cane sugar and seem like they would melt rather easily. My concern is that I don't want to throw off the scientific ratios and have the cake and/or icing turn out all wrong and gross. Any ideas of methods I can use to have the flavor using these items without compromising the quality of the cake and icing? I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Cotton candy is flavorless. Cotton candy is just spun granulated sugar, corn syrup, and artificial flavoring.

Granulated sugar is sweet, but it has no distinct flavor. What we associate with the flavor of cotton candy is really just artificial flavoring, normally, a fruit flavor like raspberry, banana, and grape. Vanilla is also a common cotton candy flavor.

Make a white cake. Use a fruit flavored extract. Color the cake batter cotton candy pink or pastel blue. Put your cotton candy puffs on top of the cake. Since cotton candy has no flavor, the flavor association is created through the visual.

Alternatively you can make a simple syrup flavored with a fruit extract. Then sprinkle some on the cake when it’s warm. And then again before you frost it.

Adding cotton candy or those other candies to the cake mix could have an adverse impact on your cake. Cotton candy is pure sugar. Sugar has an extraordinary effect on the texture and structure of cake. It is hygroscopic, so it attracts water from its environment. Too much sugar and your cake will collapse as the sugars pulls water away from the flour. If the flour does not have enough water to form it’s gluten structure, the cake may crack, crumble, or collapse.

The candy puffs could cause the same problem depending on the sugar content.

Reaction score
I've been asked this kind of question before sometime ago by several people. Seems cotton candy is a favorite in kids flavorings, but hard to find.

I'm not exactly sure what flavorings are used in making cotton candy flavoring, as I've researched this many times before and found nothing.

I find lots of recipes for homemade cotton candy syrups, but all they state is "add flavoring" but NEVER stipulate WHAT flavoring it is they use.

If I were to guess at making a homemade cotton candy flavored syrup for flavoring desserts, I would probably use vanilla and bubble gum flavoring, with a tiny, tiny hint of orange extract. But cotton candy tastes different to different people, so I would assume it's "per taste".

I'm almost certain if you use a "light" amount of bubble gum flavoring, nobody will know the difference, as most bubble gum flavorings taste like a heavy cotton candy flavor to me.

And Norcalbaker is correct about adding already flavored candies to something. Depending on what those candies are and made from, will depend whether they can work or not. But, 90% of the time, they just make it taste weird.
And I know for a fact, because I've tested this out many times with different types of candies over the years, as I like to experiment.

I think the best candies to use, depending on what you are making, is something you can melt into a sauce or syrup, like Skittles. Their flavorings seem to stay as they are with little going wrong when mixing them with cake batter or frosting.

But unless you have time for experimenting, I don't suggest trying.

My best advice for you is if you can't find the flavoring you need in time, then I would look for Cotton Candy flavored Jello. Now this, you CAN mix with cake batter and frostings. One small package in one box cake mix usually does the trick (add about 1/4 cup more liquid though), as the gelatin will soak up a lot of the moisture.

If you are looking to flavor the frosting, then I would suggest looking for Cotton Candy flavored ice cream topping syrup. This works pretty well with frostings.

If all else fails, make a nice vanilla cake and decorate it with the cotton candy flavored candies.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

There's some great advice above so I won't repeat what has already been said. One thing I will add is that if you decide to use cotton candy to decorate the cake, then I'd do it just before serving. Cotton candy is pure sugar, so if it comes in contact with moisture (eg in frosting) it will start to melt.

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome! Thank you guys so much for responding! I had thought to use the candy puffs as the sugar in the batter. So I would have omitted the sugar from the recipe and use the puffs as the source of sugar. Cotton candy's flavor is that of spun sugar pretty much yes. The process of spinning it gives it a slightly different taste. I guess the only comparison I can draw is how the process for caramel is what gives it its distinct flavor. Prior to this, I had researched a bit on the flavor of cotton candy. I know one of the most common flavors is raspberry. I am going to follow the advice to add a fruit flavor and go with raspberry in the vanilla. Unless I can find cotton candy jello. I was glad to see that suggestion because before I had checked back here, I had looked for cotton candy pudding or gelatin. I'm excited to try this either way it goes. And I will report back on how it turns out. I am so grateful to have had you guys help!

Reaction score
the light caramel taste you detect in cotton candy is probably from corn syrup. Cotton candy is created from sugar that has no crystals. to prevent possible re-crystallization during heating, corn syrup is added to the sugar.

if you would like a touch of carmel notes, try Lyle’s golden syrup. It’s an inverted cane sugar with amazing caramel flavor. two tablespoons of Lyle’s to the cake batter would probably do it.

Reaction score
I haven't heard of Lyle's golden syrup, so now I must find it simply because I love trying things I have never tried before. I am like a mad scientist in the kitchen, so I must try. I greatly appreciate you sticking with me on this topic. It has been all I have thought or talked about since I began trying to come up with solutions. lol

Reaction score
I haven't heard of Lyle's golden syrup, so now I must find it simply because I love trying things I have never tried before. I am like a mad scientist in the kitchen, so I must try. I greatly appreciate you sticking with me on this topic. It has been all I have thought or talked about since I began trying to come up with solutions. lol

i’m confident this cake is going to be perfectly delicious and lovely. And years down the road your daughter is going to look back on the memories of your cakes with deep love.

Reaction score
Golden syrup is a great idea! It's popular here in the UK but I didn't know whether it was available in the US. It has such a lovely flavour, when I'm feeling decadent I drizzle it over waffles :D

I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on with your cake @RendiRoo :)

Reaction score
Golden syrup is a great idea! It's popular here in the UK but I didn't know whether it was available in the US. It has such a lovely flavour, when I'm feeling decadent I drizzle it over waffles :D

I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on with your cake @RendiRoo :)

@Becky oh yes, Golden syrup is much more versatile than corn syrup. I always buy both corn syrup and Lyle’ for my holiday baking. This year I didn’t even open the bottle of corn syryp. I had two bottles of Lyle’s— emphasis on “had “. I used it in everything from chocolate chip cookies to soft chewy caramels. The difference in the flavor of the caramels made with Lyle’s is remarkable. i’m convinced Lyle’s is why English caramel and toffee is superior in flavor to the American versions.

@RendiRoo if you’re in the US, Lyle’s can be a little difficult to locate. I find it at two grocery stores in town. At Whole Foods and an independent family owned market. Both stores stock it next to the maple and pancake syrups. But the stores are used to purchase it from in Southern California stocked it next to the corn syrup in the sugar in the baking section

Reaction score
Okay, my update... Oh my goodness yesterday was crazy so I didn't have a chance to update until now. Friday I was out until midnight trying to tie up loose ends. I didn't get my cakes baked yet. Buuuut thanks to my stepdaughter requesting my super sweet lemon ("granny tea" is what I have dubbed it because my grandmother made it this way when I was growing up) iced tea, I found myself at Wal-Mart, strolling down the coffee aisle. When lo and behold, I spotted the word cotton candy. It's a frappe mix (they also carry bubble gum flavor), I snatched up three packets of it. I decided that even if the cake wasn't perfect, I still had the strawberry one, so I was going to go for it. I added 1 1/2 packets to a white cake mix, added some blue food coloring, and hoped for the best. Can I just say that it was absolutely perfect? I was so pleased with myself. The brand name is frozen bean. So if ever anyone else is in a similar predicament, there's this solution. It was really an 11th hour miracle. Like lights were shining down and angels were singing *grins* Buuuut I am also going to place an order for the actual flavoring so I shan't find myself in this situation again.. Thank you guys! And my little princess loved her cakes! 20180210_145935.jpg 20180210_145917.jpg

Reaction score
Okay, my update... Oh my goodness yesterday was crazy so I didn't have a chance to update until now. Friday I was out until midnight trying to tie up loose ends. I didn't get my cakes baked yet. Buuuut thanks to my stepdaughter requesting my super sweet lemon ("granny tea" is what I have dubbed it because my grandmother made it this way when I was growing up) iced tea, I found myself at Wal-Mart, strolling down the coffee aisle. When lo and behold, I spotted the word cotton candy. It's a frappe mix (they also carry bubble gum flavor), I snatched up three packets of it. I decided that even if the cake wasn't perfect, I still had the strawberry one, so I was going to go for it. I added 1 1/2 packets to a white cake mix, added some blue food coloring, and hoped for the best. Can I just say that it was absolutely perfect? I was so pleased with myself. The brand name is frozen bean. So if ever anyone else is in a similar predicament, there's this solution. It was really an 11th hour miracle. Like lights were shining down and angels were singing *grins* Buuuut I am also going to place an order for the actual flavoring so I shan't find myself in this situation again.. Thank you guys! And my little princess loved her cakes! View attachment 1366 View attachment 1367

I’m so happy to hear that the cakes all turned out perfectly! They look absolutely adorable. I’m sure your daughter was over the moon happy.

I didn’t realize they sold frappe mixes. I’m going to have to check those out. During the summer I do like to have a chilled frappe, but that requires a 30 mile round-trip drive into town and home.

I chuckled when I read the bit about the “granny tea”. My grandmother was a southerner. Sweet tea is the only way to drink tea in the south. My DIL’s brother just posted photo on FB of someone pouring tall glass of iced tea down the sink drain. Under the photo he wrote, “How to drink unsweetened tea!”

Congratulations again on the success of your cakes.

Reaction score
Okay, my update... Oh my goodness yesterday was crazy so I didn't have a chance to update until now. Friday I was out until midnight trying to tie up loose ends. I didn't get my cakes baked yet. Buuuut thanks to my stepdaughter requesting my super sweet lemon ("granny tea" is what I have dubbed it because my grandmother made it this way when I was growing up) iced tea, I found myself at Wal-Mart, strolling down the coffee aisle. When lo and behold, I spotted the word cotton candy. It's a frappe mix (they also carry bubble gum flavor), I snatched up three packets of it. I decided that even if the cake wasn't perfect, I still had the strawberry one, so I was going to go for it. I added 1 1/2 packets to a white cake mix, added some blue food coloring, and hoped for the best. Can I just say that it was absolutely perfect? I was so pleased with myself. The brand name is frozen bean. So if ever anyone else is in a similar predicament, there's this solution. It was really an 11th hour miracle. Like lights were shining down and angels were singing *grins* Buuuut I am also going to place an order for the actual flavoring so I shan't find myself in this situation again.. Thank you guys! And my little princess loved her cakes! View attachment 1366 View attachment 1367

tenor.gif

Ask a Question