Ceramic pie plate stuck to baking steel while still at hottest temperature

Reaction score
I just purchase a baking steel and made an apple pie and nearing 45 minute of baking
I opened the oven to check on the pie and it would not budge. The juice was bubbling at
the base of the pan and the 30 pound steel .. I pushed the plate and the whole steel moved
along with the plate. There was no way I can turn the pie. I poked the pie to see if the apples
were of a tender consistency. It may be beyond tender, so I turn the oven off. It is way too
heavy and too hot to remove the plate with the pie stuck to it, so I will just let it cool with the
pie on it. Yes, I should have set the pie on a cooking sheet. It's my first time, so I forgot about
it. I spent many hours on that pie-- over ten hours. I'm wondering if it will be even worse when
everything is cooled and solidifies. I am thinking of opening the oven door, as the cooking steel
will take a quite a long time to cool and overcook the pie!

I was warned some of the dangers of a heavy baking steel but a pan stuck to it was not one of them.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
I think I managed to save it. I mustered all my strength with gloves doubled up with mitts
and removed the whole thing. The whole time I was thinking of David Carradine moving
the hot cauldron with his forearms in the old series Kung Fu.
The edges are a little burnt. The baking steel cooked the pie very fast!
Lesson learned.

Attachments

• December-pie.jpg
    December-pie.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Your pic makes me crave a piece of apple pie
If you were here I would have shared some. The biggest and final pie I made was for New New's Eve. It was cancelled at the last minute. I think most would laugh...or cry ...at all the many things required to make it. Cream cheese/heavy cream/vodka crust, juice apples in lieu of apple cider for filling, and the toffee caramel bottom. I had to learn how to make candy for this pie! It was based on Rose Levy Beranbaum's pie filling and cream cheese crust and Grandma's Iron Skillet Apple Pie. In the latter recipe, the sugar is melted with butter in the skillet before lining with crust which can turn into a hot mess. The vodka was the final ingredient sprayed on -- not much only 1.5 tablespoon at the most. No water was used. The recipe did not call for any water. I suppose I could have sprayed water on it instead. I would like to conduct some tests from all I have read and learn-- nothing is ever the same twice- everything can affect the dough. I made two batches in succession of one another within 30 minutes and the second batch required 50% more vodka spray to make it workable. Perhaps it was in the freezer longer before spritzing.

In the first pic, the toffee is placed on the bottom of the lining. It's not as distinct tasting as if it were below the dough and not allowed to mix with the apple filling. It's caramel filling and the original grandma iron skillet pie is caramel coating --on bottom of pie. If i were to do it again, I would roll out a very thin layer of dough the size of the caramel and place it in the pan first, then goes the caramel, then regular dough liner, etc... In the original G.I.S.A.P recipe the caramel would harden and stick to the pan. It made it difficult to serve a pretty slice. The dough is quite delicious and I always purposely make a thick pie lattice to go with the generous amount of apple filling. This is my favorite lattice design so far because it is easy to cut on a diagonal of the weave and the diamond shape of the weave reflects in the diamond shape of the pie slice. I had a some left over caramel to make a small piece English toffee. I did not regret making extra!

Attachments

• caramel-filling.jpg
    caramel-filling.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Pie reduced size.jpg
    Pie reduced size.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 20
  • walnut-toffee.jpg
    walnut-toffee.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 19

Ask a Question