Where did I go wrong? Pepperidge Farm puff pastry pie crust.

Reaction score
I'm a novice cook trying out some new recipes and decided to give this beef & potato picnic pie a try, https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-english-beef-potato-picnic-pies-pasties-211527. The recipe called for a frozen puff pastry pie crust (I used Pepperidge Farm) and said to brush beaten egg across the top of the pie before baking. I should also add that I'm baking this in a 9-inch aluminum pie pan instead of in individual 5-inch pans.

Halfway through the given baking time, the top crust was ranging from deep golden to dark brown and I was afraid it would burn if I left it in for the time the recipe called for. Unfortunately, the dough (top & bottom) was still raw and never rose/puffed in the oven.

I want to try this recipe again but don't want to make the same mistakes, so I thought I'd ask you folks for some direction. Since it looked like the egg caused the top to brown prematurely, should I not brush it with egg next time, or maybe brush it later in the cook to give the puff pastry time to do its thing?

I'd appreciate any tips on how to do this better next time!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a novice cook trying out some new recipes and decided to give this beef & potato picnic pie a try, https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-english-beef-potato-picnic-pies-pasties-211527. The recipe called for a frozen puff pastry pie crust (I used Pepperidge Farm) and said to brush beaten egg across the top of the pie before baking. I should also add that I'm baking this in a 9-inch aluminum pie pan instead of in individual 5-inch pans.

Halfway through the given baking time, the top crust was ranging from deep golden to dark brown and I was afraid it would burn if I left it in for the time the recipe called for. Unfortunately, the dough (top & bottom) was still raw and never rose/puffed in the oven.

I want to try this recipe again but don't want to make the same mistakes, so I thought I'd ask you folks for some direction. Since it looked like the egg caused the top to brown prematurely, should I not brush it with egg next time, or maybe brush it later in the cook to give the puff pastry time to do its thing?

I'd appreciate any tips on how to do this better next time!
I would follow the recipe as written without intervening.

Reaction score
I would follow the recipe as written without intervening.
Sorry for the delay but I finally got around to trying the recipe again and followed your suggestion, but I'm afraid I intervened again and pulled the pie from the oven at the 20-minute mark of the recipe's 25-30 minute cook time.

Attachments

• Burned Pie 20210606_180941.jpg
    Burned Pie 20210606_180941.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Great point, I would not have thought of that! My Thermopro TP20 shows a "400°" oven temp between 415° & 430° over a 30-minute period. It's an older GE coil top where the "calibration" is done with a setscrew on the knob and I'd gotten it pretty close last year, so I didn't think it'd be too far off.

As far as the recipe goes, I wound up moving the pie to the bottom rack to help the bottom crust cook (it still never really cooked), and just didn't use any kind of glaze on the top, and by the third attempt, it was working out okay.

Reaction score
Oven is too hot, and/or the item was placed too high in the oven.

Next time lower the temperature by 30 degrees and place on the lowest level in the oven.

Reaction score
Great point, I would not have thought of that! My Thermopro TP20 shows a "400°" oven temp between 415° & 430° over a 30-minute period. It's an older GE coil top where the "calibration" is done with a setscrew on the knob and I'd gotten it pretty close last year, so I didn't think it'd be too far off.

As far as the recipe goes, I wound up moving the pie to the bottom rack to help the bottom crust cook (it still never really cooked), and just didn't use any kind of glaze on the top, and by the third attempt, it was working out okay.
With puff dough, grease the mold, dock the dough with a fork on the bottom, this allows the steam to vent through the pie filling, allowing the steam to escape is helpful to make the bottom brown.
Whilst it looks like the bottom crust isn't cooked, it is cooked but its steamed because you didn't dock it.
Steamed puff dough doesn't get hot enough to caramelize and color up.

What about cheese and onion pie, or steak and kidney. Wiv chips please.

Ask a Question