Chocolate Genoise cake

Reaction score
Hi guys. :) It's been a few months since I last posted. I haven't baked anything much really, but over the last couple of days I put together a chocolate cake. Never made it before and I'm really pleased the way it turned out. It tastes lovely, very moist and light sponge too.

Not my recipe but I followed it to the letter, well, apart from forgetting to add half a teaspoon of salt to the sponge but it's not noticeable anyway. Here's the recipe for anyone interested.

https://joyofbaking.com/ChocolateGenoise.html

As per recipe, I brushed the sponges with a sugar syrup which adds to the moistness. But I baked on a lower heat than in the recipe; I baked at 160c and made up some DIY baking belts which kept the edges soft and reduced the tops from doming. This is something Norcalbaker59 had taught me a while back, particularly because of the type of tins I'm using. My tins are 8 inch. The recipe calls for 9 inch tins, but it doesn't seem to matter. Hi Norcalbaker if you're reading. :)

Other tweaks of mine: I preferred to whip up some double cream for the filling instead of making the chocolate mousse in the recipe. Also, I made up a very small amount of a simple chocolate buttercream recipe for piping the decoration using butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and milk.

Here's my buttercream recipe:

Cream 15g butter for a few minutes in a small bowl. Sift 8g cocoa powder and 32g powdered sugar and add to the butter along with a small amount of milk, about 6ml or so. Mix, then add another 32g powdered sugar along with a little more milk if it's too dry. Now it's ready for the piping bag.

And after making a dark chocolate chocolate ganache, I tasted some before covering the cake but wasn't keen on the stronger taste so threw it and decided to melt some Cadburys milk chocolate which is perfect for me, it's very smooth and creamy.

The key here is considerably volumizing the eggs and folding gently to reduce deflating it. I baked my sponges for about 25 minutes, since I was on a lower temperature than the recipe. I need to weigh my batter next time as they came out slightly different thicknesses, and one was slightly different diameter so I wasn't able to get both sponges and the cream filling completely flush. I dripped the chocolate glazing while the cake was on the serving plate and then wiped away most of the excess. Not ideal but I was worried about damaging the sponge or smudging the glaze by moving it from a wire rack.

I made up some cake flour too. I weighed out 125g plain flour, removed 2 levelled tablespoons of it and added 2 levelled tablespoons of cornflour. Then sifted it 5 times.

I love chocolate cake! :D

20190923_214935.jpg 20190923_215416.jpg 20190923_220254.jpg 20190923_223833.jpg 20190924_001145.jpg 20190924_161742.jpg

20190924_182753.jpg

20190924_182758.jpg

20190924_183449.jpg

20190924_183521.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Ian! It was delicious and the cadburys chocolate really works well. :)

Reaction score
Hi guys. :) It's been a few months since I last posted. I haven't baked anything much really, but over the last couple of days I put together a chocolate cake. Never made it before and I'm really pleased the way it turned out. It tastes lovely, very moist and light sponge too.

Not my recipe but I followed it to the letter, well, apart from forgetting to add half a teaspoon of salt to the sponge but it's not noticeable anyway. Here's the recipe for anyone interested.

https://joyofbaking.com/ChocolateGenoise.html

As per recipe, I brushed the sponges with a sugar syrup which adds to the moistness. But I baked on a lower heat than in the recipe; I baked at 160c and made up some DIY baking belts which kept the edges soft and reduced the tops from doming. This is something Norcalbaker59 had taught me a while back, particularly because of the type of tins I'm using. My tins are 8 inch. The recipe calls for 9 inch tins, but it doesn't seem to matter. Hi Norcalbaker if you're reading. :)

Other tweaks of mine: I preferred to whip up some double cream for the filling instead of making the chocolate mousse in the recipe. Also, I made up a very small amount of a simple chocolate buttercream recipe for piping the decoration using butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and milk.

Here's my buttercream recipe:

Cream 15g butter for a few minutes in a small bowl. Sift 8g cocoa powder and 32g powdered sugar and add to the butter along with a small amount of milk, about 6ml or so. Mix, then add another 32g powdered sugar along with a little more milk if it's too dry. Now it's ready for the piping bag.

And after making a dark chocolate chocolate ganache, I tasted some before covering the cake but wasn't keen on the stronger taste so threw it and decided to melt some Cadburys milk chocolate which is perfect for me, it's very smooth and creamy.

The key here is considerably volumizing the eggs and folding gently to reduce deflating it. I baked my sponges for about 25 minutes, since I was on a lower temperature than the recipe. I need to weigh my batter next time as they came out slightly different thicknesses, and one was slightly different diameter so I wasn't able to get both sponges and the cream filling completely flush. I dripped the chocolate glazing while the cake was on the serving plate and then wiped away most of the excess. Not ideal but I was worried about damaging the sponge or smudging the glaze by moving it from a wire rack.

I made up some cake flour too. I weighed out 125g plain flour, removed 2 levelled tablespoons of it and added 2 levelled tablespoons of cornflour. Then sifted it 5 times.

I love chocolate cake! :D

View attachment 2631 View attachment 2632 View attachment 2633 View attachment 2634 View attachment 2635 View attachment 2636

View attachment 2637
View attachment 2638

View attachment 2639

View attachment 2640

wow @Lee_C you got really level layers!! The cake crumb looks really fine too. Really nice work well done. :D

Reaction score
wow @Lee_C you got really level layers!! The cake crumb looks really fine too. Really nice work well done. :D

Thanks Norcalbaker! Room for improvement like getting each layer more equally sized. But overall I'm very happy with it. Your tips for baking belts and lowering the temp really worked well. And mum loved it which was a bonus! :D

Ask a Question