Choosing Between Gas and Electric Stove for Baking

Reaction score
When I moved into my new place on my own and it came to buying kitchen appliances, I really wanted to get one that help improve or solidify my baking skills.
But, because of all the unforeseen financial things that popped, I just bought a mini stove for the time being.
So, now I'm ready to get a proper stove so I can bake as often as I want to, but I'm tied between getting a gas or electric one.
Some of my aunties that bake are referring me to a gas one because it's has a more natural taste to the food compared to the electric. Other people are saying there's no difference.
I wanted to know which one is less hassle to maintain and which brings out the best in food that I bake?

Reaction score
I currently have an electric stove and have to admit that at times it dose't always seem to heat correctly. It seems to take longer to cook all the way through than it should. It's a new stove too (well about a year old) and the kind that goes into the wall. It may just be the kind of electric it is and not electric stoves in general.

Reaction score
I've had both electric and gas stoves and I've never noticed any difference between them. Well, besides the fact that they are heated by different sources, of course.

Not being one of those elite connoisseurs of food, I can't say I've noticed any difference in flavor, but a lot of people I know swear by gas stoves when it comes to baking. Maybe it's a mindset that it's a more traditional method that makes people think things taste better?

Reaction score
I currently have a gas stove and i love my stove its much faster than the electric stoves and much cheaper also!! And the best thing is when there no power you can stil cook and bake!!! :)

Reaction score
I understand that people love gas stoves and seeing the flame that they're cooking on, but I'm very conscious of money, bills and my budget.
If I have a gas stove, then I have a gas bill. If I have an electric stove, then I just pay more on my electric bill. I'd rather not have to deal with an extra bill just to run my stove and oven. Plus gas stoves have pilot lights and leaks that you have to deal with sometimes.

Reaction score
When I moved into my new place on my own and it came to buying kitchen appliances, I really wanted to get one that help improve or solidify my baking skills.
But, because of all the unforeseen financial things that popped, I just bought a mini stove for the time being.
So, now I'm ready to get a proper stove so I can bake as often as I want to, but I'm tied between getting a gas or electric one.
Some of my aunties that bake are referring me to a gas one because it's has a more natural taste to the food compared to the electric. Other people are saying there's no difference.
I wanted to know which one is less hassle to maintain and which brings out the best in food that I bake?

The nicest thing about gas is that it is easier to control the temperature and heats the oven faster. I now have electric and it takes forever to preheat and cool off. Electric is more expensive in the long run. But, although I prefer gas, I have never noticed a difference in taste. As for maintaining each: you will have to clean each the same; but my electric self-cleaning is no work at all.

Reaction score
I say gas all the way. It is easier to control temperatures and I think that gas gives a more even heat and cooks/bakes better. I also agree with Christa it's cheaper, faster and you have the bonus of being able to cook/bake in a power outage. As for up keep cleaning is about the same either way unless you have self cleaning. I have had this gas stove for 5 years with no major problems other thank the pilot light going out occasionally and before that I was using my grandmothers gas stove that was 30+ years old.

Reaction score
I have an electric stove which I am soon replacing due to it's uneven heating. Unfortunately I have to replace this with yet another electric stove. I am getting this one brand new so perhaps I will not have the same issues. Trust me, I will let you know the outcome!

Reaction score

I have used both gas and electric stoves and both have good points and bad equally. But when it comes to my baked goods I actually prefer the electric. It is so easy to over-cook things on a gas stove. This is just my personal experience with it.

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say gas is better, but I wouldn't know because I've only ever used an electric stove (apart from when baking at friends' houses). Our electric stove is absolutely dire though - it goes from undercooking things to burning them within seconds, so you need to put tin foil over practically everything, and the heat distribution isn't great so things are often cooked lopsided. I think that's more just our dodgy oven though, rather than a reflection electric cookers as a whole.

Reaction score
We had a 1966 oven in the wall and an electric range off to the side. Now we have a gas oven and I really love it. More even heating and faster cooking and cooldown. I love the convection option, as well!

Reaction score
I've used both electric and gas. I prefer my gas range. Not only does it cook faster, but I think it bakes more evenly than an electric range.

Reaction score
I have an electric stove and I have always had an electric stove. My Mama has a gas stove and she swears by it. She likes it much better than an electric stove. She said that the baking is easier and more precise The big plus I see about gas stoves are the fact that if the power goes out you can still cook your food.

Reaction score
My first apartment had a gas stove and I loved it. Since then it has been electric but I much prefer the gas stoves, especially for cooking on the burners.

Reaction score
I'm on the gas bandwagon for the stovetop. Electric is nice and pretty and all, but I honestly have no idea what temperatures I'm looking at, there's hot and very hot and... er... no clue.

With gas I can fiddle with the knob and instantly see what I'm doing.

That said, I've only baked with electric and it seems pretty swell so far, since it heats nice and evenly.

Reaction score
We have electric but there are times I wish we had gas. I've never had gas but it sure seems like the temperatures are easier to maintain and control with gas than electric. I don't mind mine but from watching cooking shows it seems easier to get to the heat and temp you want more quickly with gas.
If I had to buy another range at some point - I would get gas stovetop. I wonder though if you can get gas stovetop with electric ovens??? LOL! I am probably crazy!!
But, still, anyone know? :)

Reaction score
I've had the pilot light go out and gas can be kind of scary because you have to worry about leaks. You are dealing with flammable gas and accidents can happen.
I get that you can precisely lower and raise the flame that you are cooking on. But that gas smell when the pilot light goes out is freaky and I'm always afraid that I'm going to blow my kitchen up. At least electric stoves aren't volatile.

Reaction score
I prefer cooking on gas since it's more even, and it's easy to turn off the heat and stop cooking things. With electric burners you need to take the pan completely off of the stove and put it somewhere else, like on a counter, to stop the cooking. Also electric burners never seem to lay entirely flat, causing stuff to flow to one side of the pan. Plus you have to wait for the burners to cool down completely before you can clean them or anything that has fallen down in them.

However, I have had a couple of instances with gas leaks in my apartments, which is even more frightening since I am a smoker. Plus I wouldn't want a separate bill just for my stove. Although I prefer gas to heat my place over an electric heating system, since they dry out the air pretty badly.

Ask a Question