Churros!

Reaction score
I lived in Spain for 4 months and one of the delights I tried were churros (with chocolate). THey are also found in Mexico and probably other Hispanic countries.

It's a kind of fried dough sprinkled with sugar and sometimes cinnamon. It's a breakfast food (great way tos tart your day!) and often dipped either in coffee or super thick,super rich (ultra-yummy) chocolate.

You can also get them chocolate coated, filled with cream or custard and in a variety of other ways.

Here's a basic recipe I found for them:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/churros/

Reaction score
I tried churros last year at a food festival I went to, I had them with the chocolate dipping sauce. I thought they were nice enough, but a little dry - that might've just been the ones I had though. I'd like to try them again though!

Reaction score
I haven't had churros but I have heard and seen so many great things about them. I would to have them with that very rich and thick chocolate that they make in Spain. My tongue is salivating just thinking about it right now.

Reaction score
cefmac: It sounds like it was how they prepared them that made them dry. It could also be that different hispanic countries make them with somewhat different textures. I've only had the ones from spain.

Jodianna, yes. You need to try that. The hot chocolate over there puts north american stuff to shame. I was soo in withdrawal when I came home. Short of a spanish or mexican restaurant, try making your own churros, and I've seen recipes to get chocolate thick too. I haven't tried them, so I can't say which recipe is best.

I can guarantee they are NOTHING like at Taco Bell!

Reaction score
Churros are popular in Miami too and I have one of those churro press things that squirts the dough into the hot oil on my Amazon wish list. But I have so many kitchen items on my Amazon wish list that there's no telling when I'll get around to actually ordering the churro maker.

Reaction score
Oh! I know these things! I had no idea they were called churros, but they're really really nice. Never tried baking them, but now I know what they're called... I might have a go :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe! We have a lot of churros here in California (even Jack in the Box- a fast food chain if you don't have them) sells mini churros in a 5 or 10 pack. Now I am learning from your article that maybe they do put a custard or something in them, since the fast food were "gooshier" in the middle than the traditional Mexican fare we have here.

Reaction score
Ah, i've remembered what i've seen them advertised over here as. American donuts. I've bought them from Marks & Spencer and they're really really nice. I do really need to try and bake these!

Reaction score
I love churros! I think this is going to go on my "to make" list. Perhaps an apple cider churro for fall?

Reaction score
In my experience American (or at least Californian) churros and Spanish ones are very different. The ones I had in Cali were sweeter and covered in sugar and cinnamon, whereas the all the Spanish ones I tried (Madrid and Malaga) were simpler fried dough and thus more suitable for dipping in coffee or chocolate.

Both are tasty, but I would consider the American style a dessert treat or fair food and the Spanish one a breakfast item. I've never run into the custard ones, though :)

Reaction score
Yeah, the ones over here are more like the American ones. I've never tried the Spanish kind, they don't sound as nice haha.

Reaction score
I haven't had the "American" (Mexican) kind, but I'm not surprised there are slight differences. The ones I had in Spain (Murcia and Barcelona) were certainly delicious. Had sugar on them, and as I said, sometimes filled with custard etc. I'm not surprised they are popular in Florida or California, with the Hispanic population in those areas.

Reaction score
I've had doughnuts with custard inside of them before, so maybe they're similar to that. I'm not usually one that says "Too sweet!" but those definitely were.

Reaction score
I love churros! It's so good with rich, thick chocolate. It's definitely worth a try if you have sweet tooth. Others may think that the chocolate dip is a bit too sweet for their taste though. It's also good with a mug of hot chocolate or coffee.

Ask a Question