Do You Cheat?

Reaction score
A lot of extreme bakers are repulsed by instant cake mixes, cookie dough, and pre-made pie crusts. But, is it really that bad? I have been known to whip up some Pillsbury Cookies straight out of the refrigerator and Betty Crocker can be a life-saver. Do you think you are still a baker, or an abomination if you use instant dough and mixes?

Reaction score
I make some baked goods by hand, I make some baked goods from mixes and I even buy certain things from bakeries if I don't know how to make them.
I don't claim to be a professional or expert baker. It's just one of my hobbies.

Reaction score
It can be good to make some things from scratch but sometimes it's just easier to use the shortcut and since you are baking it, you could technically say you baked it lol.

Reaction score
I don't think it's a crime to use instant cake-mixes. For example, if I'm making a Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownie (<-- Recipe!), it can be very time consuming to have to mix the red velvet brownie batter (2 part; chocolate mixture + Sugar/Egg/Red mixture), and then the cheesecake mixture separately, so if I'm in a hurry to finish the baking, I'll use a brownie box mix, adding red food colouring, and mix the cheesecake myself. It's still technically my own bake, in my opinion... Whenever I have the time, I will make the effort to make my own brownie mix too, as I do believe it comes out with a better taste and texture, but time is always the biggest problem in my house...

I wouldn't call it cheating.. I'd call it initiative. ;)

Reaction score
A lot of extreme bakers are repulsed by instant cake mixes, cookie dough, and pre-made pie crusts. But, is it really that bad? I have been known to whip up some Pillsbury Cookies straight out of the refrigerator and Betty Crocker can be a life-saver. Do you think you are still a baker, or an abomination if you use instant dough and mixes?
great question! It all depends on the situation and how much time I have, and my audience! If it is a potluck where I don't know too many people, I will sometimes use a package because people are not going to care. But if it is close friends, family or someone I'm trying to impress, then definitely by scratch! I always have a few boxed things on hand for emergencies anyway...

Reaction score
I don't think it's a crime to use instant cake-mixes. For example, if I'm making a Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownie (<-- Recipe!), it can be very time consuming to have to mix the red velvet brownie batter (2 part; chocolate mixture + Sugar/Egg/Red mixture), and then the cheesecake mixture separately, so if I'm in a hurry to finish the baking, I'll use a brownie box mix, adding red food colouring, and mix the cheesecake myself. It's still technically my own bake, in my opinion... Whenever I have the time, I will make the effort to make my own brownie mix too, as I do believe it comes out with a better taste and texture, but time is always the biggest problem in my house...

I wouldn't call it cheating.. I'd call it initiative. ;)

Some recipes on Pinterest actually call for cake mix. There are tons of recipes on Pinterest that use cake mix to make things that are not cake, so I agree that there's nothing wrong with using cake mix for some things.

Reaction score
I think if you're expected to make a traditional family recipe, then yes, you should be keeping that tradition alive. But for just casual everyday baking, especially with the kids, it's better than not doing anything at all. (Though some of the mixes do taste vile. I can't abide the sugar cookies in a tube, though the chocolate chip ones aren't bad.)

Reaction score
Wow, glad to know I am not the only person who "cheats" in the kitchen once in awhile. I love baking, I have more fun decorating things I have baked than actually baking, but regardless it is definitely a hobby of mine. But, my life is so hectic, sometimes I just don't have the time or energy to bake something from scratch. Now that I know so many other "bakers" do the same I feel a little less guilty about it :)

Reaction score
Some recipes on Pinterest actually call for cake mix. There are tons of recipes on Pinterest that use cake mix to make things that are not cake, so I agree that there's nothing wrong with using cake mix for some things.

Very true.. Sometimes I read a recipe on Pinterest that asks for an instant box-mix, and I'll think to myself "I can make that myself!", especially if I don't have that box-mix to hand. I'm not going to go out to the shops just to buy an instant mix if I have some flour, sugar, eggs and butter in the house.. It doesn't seem worth it. :confused:

It is useful to know that they've available though, just in case I ever need them, though I do prefer to avoid them if I can.

Reaction score
I personally don't like the taste of the finished product of the boxed mix. Although, that's how I first started to tinker in the kitchen when I was 12, and I was really proud of myself. But I can no longer tolerate the artificial taste that it leaves my tongue, so I end up looking for a recipe, trying it out, and if it works, I just keep it in my repertoire. I've started following a couple of blogs and websites for this, because most of their recipes are consistent and dependable. I am a professional chef, but pastry and confectionary are not my forte. I know the basics, and can modify some recipes, but I still have to rely on solid recipes if I'm doing birthday cakes, brownies, cupcakes, etc.

Reaction score
I think to be a professional baker you shouldn't use pre-made things or "Cheats" as you call them. However if you aren't looking to be a professional baker then I say why not. Sometimes it's just more convenient or you don't exactly have the time to do it from scratch.

I do cheat and I don't think that it's wrong or it's taboo.. It's just much easier and time convenient

Reaction score
It depends what I am making. Of course, box cake mix and things of that sort, I do still bake with them. If I have a lot of time I try to do things from scratch. My dad always told me I was awesome at making even a box came taste amazing. (He is my dad though, doesn't he have to say that? Haha!) But I am trying to do more and more by scratch. So I guess I am a cheater sometimes! But I'm no professional either!

Reaction score
I've baked from scratch and I've also used mixes. I don't see anything wrong with using cake mixes, I think they taste just as good as something homemade. Plus, it takes people a bit longer to make something homemade and a mix is a great way to get a tasty treat in a short amount of time.

Reaction score

I am addicted to Pinterest and their recipes. I love creating new cakes with the mixes and cake mix cookies are divine!

Oh yes I use cake and cookie and brownie mixes from the store. I also buy pie crusts from the store because I can't get my pie crusts to turn out worth a darn. I am really trying to prepare my own mixes in a jar to have on hand for easy access. I have a book called the "Make A Mix" cook book and it has several different recipes. I use to do this often but I got out of practice. I need to get back into it.

Reaction score
I am addicted to Pinterest and their recipes. I love creating new cakes with the mixes and cake mix cookies are divine!

The cake mix cookies are good and I also like the cake mix fruit cobblers and cake mix layered desserts. I think with those desserts, even if you use cake mix as a base, it's still partly homemade.

Reaction score
The cake mix cookies are good and I also like the cake mix fruit cobblers and cake mix layered desserts. I think with those desserts, even if you use cake mix as a base, it's still partly homemade.

I have not discovered the cake mix layered desserts as of yet. Care to share any of them?

Ask a Question