Have you ever cheated?

Reaction score
Come on now, let's be honest. Sometimes there are mistakes that just can't be fixed, and there's no time left to bake something new.

So with that in mind, have any of you ever tried to pass off a store bought product as one of your own due to a baking error?

Reaction score
I tried one time and forgot to throw away the evidence. Lucky for me I hadn't told anyone that I made it yet. Most of the time if I didn't make it I won't say I did. However my neighbor make a chocolate cake and it just so happen to be our wedding anniversary. I spent all day cooking this great meal and I was tired but needed to make a dessert. There was a knock at the door and my neighbor with a cake. I said thank you and passed the cake off as my own.

Reaction score
I don't see the point of passing off store bought as your own. If you messed up or simple ran out of time just admit it and let them know you had to pick up something from the store. I am sure no one will be to upset, beside what if stor bought turns out to be yuck instead of yum ?

Reaction score
I would not cheat! It maybe hard to admit, but, cheating will in the long run make you feel worse. Honesty is the best way to do. Others will respect your honesty as well. When someone doesn't cheats about something like this, the person will be honest with everything in his/her life.

Reaction score
I tried one time and forgot to throw away the evidence. Lucky for me I hadn't told anyone that I made it yet. Most of the time if I didn't make it I won't say I did. However my neighbor make a chocolate cake and it just so happen to be our wedding anniversary. I spent all day cooking this great meal and I was tired but needed to make a dessert. There was a knock at the door and my neighbor with a cake. I said thank you and passed the cake off as my own.
Ohhhh sneaky! Did anyone notice?

Reaction score
Yes. I will spice it up so that it really looks like I made it. I only do this with simple stuff like pound and sponge cakes. I have also done the same with cupcakes. An homemade glaze or whipped cream and fresh fruit does wonders. I have added homemade fruit sauce and toasted pine nuts to a store bought cheesecake.

Reaction score
For those of you who have cheated were you ever caught and what gave you away?

Reaction score
Only once. Back in high school we had a cool math teacher who said that every friday someone had to bring in some kinda cake(s) that they'd baked themseles (as long as everyone was in agreement they'd do it, which we were) And when it cam to my turn I was just like... ehhh (I hadn't quite reached the point in my life were I actually liked baking) So I bought a bunch of cupcakes from the local bakery and passed them off. The teacher was like "oh my gosh how did you make these?!" And I was making up a whole story on how I'd made them and everything...

Reaction score
It crossed my mind once but I've never really tried it. I'm not sure if I will ever do so or not. I cheated in so many ways but not yet in baking.

Reaction score
Only once. Back in high school we had a cool math teacher who said that every friday someone had to bring in some kinda cake(s) that they'd baked themseles (as long as everyone was in agreement they'd do it, which we were) And when it cam to my turn I was just like... ehhh (I hadn't quite reached the point in my life were I actually liked baking) So I bought a bunch of cupcakes from the local bakery and passed them off. The teacher was like "oh my gosh how did you make these?!" And I was making up a whole story on how I'd made them and everything...
Did they suspect anything?

Reaction score
The only time I have used store-bought products was before I got my stand mixer. It was a pain in the butt to mix cookies and things by hand so yes, I usually just bought it from the store. I didn't try to hide it though, everyone knew where it came from. Now, I gladly mix it up homemade and make sure everyone knows it too. I'm proud of my creations dangit. :)

Reaction score
The only time I have used store-bought products was before I got my stand mixer. It was a pain in the butt to mix cookies and things by hand so yes, I usually just bought it from the store. I didn't try to hide it though, everyone knew where it came from. Now, I gladly mix it up homemade and make sure everyone knows it too. I'm proud of my creations dangit. :)
I can understand that. Sometimes it's just easier to buy store bought things when it's too difficult to mix all the stuff up yourself and bake them.

Ask a Question