Baking Sweets: Is a Thermometer Necessary?

Reaction score
I am familiar with using a thermometer to bake meats, but never sweets. The toothpick test is the main test I grew up using to see if a cake or loaf of bread was fully cooked or ready for icing.

Do you use a thermometer to bake sweets? If so, why?

ndw02500b_l_5_1.jpg
(The Nordic Ware Baking Thermometer)

Reaction score
The way I was raised we didn't measure or use any type of thermometer when baking. We had to eye ball it and "feel it" instead of relying on tools. I don't use a thermometer when baking and the only time I may even look at it is when I am fixing my turkey.

Reaction score
The way I was raised we didn't measure or use any type of thermometer when baking. We had to eye ball it and "feel it" instead of relying on tools. I don't use a thermometer when baking and the only time I may even look at it is when I am fixing my turkey.

This is how I was raised too. My mother taught me to cook without the use of many gadgets. So, I don't understand why thermometers and other gizmos are necessary to bake a simple pound cake.

Reaction score
I agree, I do not use a thermometer when baking. I use a toothpick instead of a thermometer. I stick a toothpick in the cake and pull it out. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. My mother taught me how to use the toothpick. I look to see if the cake is done.

Ask a Question