Egg whites for japanese cheesecake.

Reaction score
hello,

Once i have conditioned base mixture with approximately 1/3 of my beaten egg whites, am i better off to then transfer my base mixture into the bowl with the remaining egg white. Or transfer my egg whites into the bowl of the base mixture. I hope that makes sense.

I have seen recipes that do both of these ways, just wondering if one is better than the other.

Thank you

Reaction score
hello,

Once i have conditioned base mixture with approximately 1/3 of my beaten egg whites, am i better off to then transfer my base mixture into the bowl with the remaining egg white. Or transfer my egg whites into the bowl of the base mixture. I hope that makes sense.

I have seen recipes that do both of these ways, just wondering if one is better than the other.

Thank you

No. Fold the remaining whipped egg whites into the batter in two more additions.

Whipped egg whites are the leavening. To ensure maximum rise, whipped egg whites are folded into a batter in additions, not the other way around.

The first addition is to loosen the heavy batter. This is a critical step as the looser the batter, the less the egg whites deflate in folding.

In Japan, acids like cream of tartar aren’t used to stabilize whipped egg whites.

For optimal rise, fold (do not stir) egg whites into the batter with a large balloon whisk. Folding technique is important. If you aren’t sure how to fold, look it up.

There’s several types of whisks. A French whisk is more oblong and narrow in shape. A French whisk is more suited for sauce making since it fits better in a saucepan.

Flat whisk is used for roux and sauces since it doesn’t aerate.

The spring whisk is for cocktail making.

Folding is best done with a whisk with thin wires (left), not a heavy duty wire whisk.

IMG_4083.jpeg

Ask a Question