Eliminating Bitter Baking Powder/Soda Balls in Baked Goods

Reaction score
What store did you get the muffin from? I'm guessing there is one or maybe 2 major suppliers that all the baking powder manufacturers buy from and they have changed what they are doing,

I also had it happen with a box of Krusteaz Pumpkin Spice pancake mix. The last can of baking powder I bought was Winco store brand. It was horrible. I had to throw away a big batch of banana bread. Before that, I had used their bulk baking powder and made a bunch of gift jars of cornbread mix and cookie mix using their bulk baking powder. I am so embarrassed. I made a batch of each and they were inedible. I called and had to get them back from relatives. I put one batch in my mixer with a whisk and whisked the dry ingredients together for 5 minutes and then made the cornbread with it. It was the same, little areas of bitter tasting yuck. I wrote to Winco and told them about it. They did the usual "Thank you for your letter" response but at least they replied. I threw away probably $50 worth of gift jar contents.
I bought a can of Rumsford baking powder and am making some simple biscuits in a few minutes to see what happens.

Do you have any idea what's going on? I think the cream of tartar ingredients have changed. It worries me because I hope that the companies have not decided to cut corners and use non-food grade chemicals in this.

Please keep in touch with me.
U people are all in America - here in Australia even Less ingredients to choose from ! https://external-content.duckduckgo...2dca111a77a407b1400a82adce514b25dd&ipo=images

Ask a Question