"fault lines" I n loaves

Reaction score
I have a problem with what I call "fault lines" - at the second kneading, however brief, the dough doesn't stick to itself readily and I end up with "faults" in my loaves that sometimes slices will break along. It's not a huge problem, and most of my loaves are fine - but they always have the tell tale marks both on the crust and in the loaf where the dough has not become entirely homogenous. Has anybody else had this problem? Can anybody offer a solution? Thanks

Reaction score
I have a problem with what I call "fault lines" - at the second kneading, however brief, the dough doesn't stick to itself readily and I end up with "faults" in my loaves that sometimes slices will break along. It's not a huge problem, and most of my loaves are fine - but they always have the tell tale marks both on the crust and in the loaf where the dough has not become entirely homogenous. Has anybody else had this problem? Can anybody offer a solution? Thanks

Are you using flour to knead? If so, my guess is that is your problem.

No flour should be used in kneading.

Reaction score
at every stage when you handle the dough the outer crust should be folded to the inside .
If you proof in a bowl, oiled and covered it will still develop a crust, it should be turned inside out by folding the crust to the middle.
Even though it doesn't look like theres a crust there is and you can't get rid of it if you fail to handle the dough properly.
Especially important at the final stage where you form the loaf.
Thats the basic step your missing.

Reaction score
at every stage when you handle the dough the outer crust should be folded to the inside .
If you proof in a bowl, oiled and covered it will still develop a crust, it should be turned inside out by folding the crust to the middle.
Even though it doesn't look like theres a crust there is and you can't get rid of it if you fail to handle the dough properly.
Especially important at the final stage where you form the loaf.
Thats the basic step your missing.
Thanks, that is really helpful! I remember the very first tin loaf recipe I used 40 years ago that actually advised stretchin and rolling the dough into a strip as wide but three times the length of the tin - then folding it into thirds. I guess the "crust effect" was the reason. ☺️

Ask a Question