For someone who hasn't tried baking, what's the best first thing to try?

Reaction score
I have been wondering, what is the best and easiest thing to bake for a newbie like me?

Reaction score
No baking at all? Not even a mix? I see nothing wrong with starting with a mix, just to get a feel for it. Once you're ready to try something new, I personally think brownies are a relatively easy thing to bake. ;)

Reaction score
Muffins are also very easy, especially since the lumpier the batter, the better. Once you've mastered them, cupcakes become easier - they required a lot of sieving and beating though to actually get good, fluffy cakes, which takes practice.

Reaction score
I think you should start with a cake mix so that you can at least get a feel for baking, then try a simple cookie recipe like the Toll House cookies recipe.

Reaction score
There are so many great boxed choices to choose from in stores. All of which are very easy and most requiring only a few ingredients be added. Pick your favorite and go for it. Have fun and enjoy.

Reaction score
If you have never baked anything before, I would start with something simple like a Betty Crocker cake or cookie mix. Baking something from scratch can be really overwhelming and stressful for a newbie, I still get overwhelmed by some recipes from scratch, and I have been baking most of my life.

Reaction score
For a new baker, I would highly recommend trying a vegan recipe. I am a vegetarian (not vegan) and it is very rare that we have eggs in the house when I am in a baking mood. Therefore, I am often looking out for vegan ideas and often do a vegan carrot cake and muffins (as shown in my Avatar).

With a vegan recipe, you don't have to worry so much about whether your ingredients are fresh enough, if you are over-mixing etc. Very, very easy.

One tip though - DON'T try the mix before you cook it as you are very likely to throw it in the bin!! ;)

Reaction score
I would say homemade brownies. The reason I say them, is because even if you burn them a little, they'll be fine. Plus, if you undercook them, they'll taste ten times better! It might not be healthy, but they do taste good! They're just very simple to make and there's very little that you can do wrong with them, so I say give homemade brownies a shot!

Reaction score
For me the easiest thing was just the pre-made cookie dough. All I had to do was roll out the size I wanted. It was easy and even the little kids in my house could do it. This won't really give you a feel on mixing, but it gets you to put something in the oven for once.

Reaction score
For me the easiest thing was just the pre-made cookie dough. All I had to do was roll out the size I wanted. It was easy and even the little kids in my house could do it. This won't really give you a feel on mixing, but it gets you to put something in the oven for once.

True. My first cookie experience was with a roll of pre-made cookie dough and I felt so proud when they came out of the oven golden brown. I think that would give a newbie baker the confidence to get started.

Reaction score
If you are just starting baking I would suggest something simple like chocolate chip cookies. The mixes are great to learn the ropes so to speak, but if you just want to try something easy and totally from scratch, then cookies are by far the easiest to make.

Reaction score
These are all great advices you guys! Thank you so much for your input! As I've said from my other posts, I have tried baking the first time using a mix and they turned out really well. My friends finished them all in one sitting!!! I am very much inspired to do things on my own now. :)

Reaction score
Try the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the back of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip bag! :)

Reaction score
I agree with the other posts about trying a brownie recipe. They are on the easier side when it comes to baking from scratch. All of the ingredients are mixed in one bowl, so there are less instructions to focus on.

Reaction score
I actually recommend jumping right in. find anything that looks delicious and get started. If you succeed, awesome.. otherwise, mistakes are how we learn.

Reaction score
The easiest thing to bake to me is either chocolate chip cookies or a cake mix. You can even do some no bake things just to get a fill of how it may be. When I bake I usually don't measure and just "feel" how much i need.

Reaction score
The first thing I ever baked was back in high school- It was just the typical, pre-packed brownie mixture you can buy in stores. From there I looked on Youtube at how to make your own brownie mixture from just flour etc. (Youtube is a GREAT resource for recipes by the way) I then started baking cookies and cakes and bread and butter pudding. I also work for Walt Disney World and the food they make there is amazing and there are many recipes on how to emulate these in your own kitchen. Basically.... if you're new to baking or just an amatuer who happens to enjoy it- youtube is your friend!

Reaction score
The first thing I ever baked was back in high school- It was just the typical, pre-packed brownie mixture you can buy in stores. From there I looked on Youtube at how to make your own brownie mixture from just flour etc. (Youtube is a GREAT resource for recipes by the way) I then started baking cookies and cakes and bread and butter pudding. I also work for Walt Disney World and the food they make there is amazing and there are many recipes on how to emulate these in your own kitchen. Basically.... if you're new to baking or just an amatuer who happens to enjoy it- youtube is your friend!

Hey, Andrew! You mentioned you have some recipes from Disney World. Do you mind sharing a few with us? :)

Reaction score
When I was growing up, we did not have a kitchen stove, so everything I learned to make was cooked in our electric skillet or the crock pot.
Once I got married, and we rented a place with a stove in it, I decided to try learning how to bake. I think I tried making a pie first, but making the piecrust turned out purely awful; so I didn't try that anymore.
I then started with something really simple, which was a boxed pizza mix. I just had to mix up the dough, let it raise with the toppings, and bake it. It turned out great ! ! After that, I used the mix and made our own, whenever we wanted pizza. From there, I just kind of expanded out to brownies, or corn meal muffins, and other easy mixes.
I am not a great baker, even yet; but can do most of the things I want to bake. You just have to pick something you like, and keep trying at it.

Reaction score
I've never baked cakes from scratch. I think you should start with a mix. You'll learn from there. Sometimes, when you're in a hurry you might mess up the instructions and then you can search for a solution on the internet. Well at least that's where I started. The easiest thing to bake from scratch are chocolate chip cookies, super easy and super delicious!

Ask a Question