For someone who hasn't tried baking, what's the best first thing to try?

Reaction score
Muffins are also very easy, especially since the lumpier the batter, the better. Once you've mastered them, cupcakes become easier - they required a lot of sieving and beating though to actually get good, fluffy cakes, which takes practice.

Hmm. While I agree that muffins are pretty easy, I don't necessarily recommend them for first time bakers. The key to good muffins is to NOT over mix them. So yes, you want them to stay lumpy, but to new cooks, they're going to be very, very tempted to stir more in order to break them up more and their muffins may turn out tough and chewy instead.

Reaction score
There's a lot of great advice here! I started with a little Easy-Bake Oven and those little mixes..around the same time I did those Pillsbury cut-outs that you just stick in the oven (say what you will, those were pretty tasty!) I would definitely start out with a mix :)

Reaction score
I would go with either a chocolate chip cookie, a basic sugar cookie, or an oatmeal cookie. All three have few ingredients that can be easily obtained; you only need a short amount of time for prep and; they can be done in 10-15 min .

Just remember to preheat your oven to the required temperature, have some toothpicks handy to test for done-ness, and take care not to over-mix.

Reaction score
Start out with chocolate chip cookies, those are easy and almost impossible to mess up on.

Reaction score
I agree with the others; there are some great mixes out there, and they can help you learn! You'll learn about how to grease your pans, how to tell when your cakes and such are done, etc. Plus, homemade chocolate chip cookies ARE very easy; one simple but delicious recipe is the Nestle Toll House recipe...you should be able to find it on their website.

Reaction score
Sugar cookies are pretty easy and forgiving. They are a great item to start our baking. There are only a handfull of ingredients and the recipe is not very complicated.

Reaction score
Sugar cookies can be pretty easy, but I'll admit: I can make the most complicated of cheesecakes and the tastiest of cakes, but I still sometimes struggle with rolling out sugar cookie dough and cutting it out! I know, right?

Reaction score
I have been wondering, what is the best and easiest thing to bake for a newbie like me?
Start with a cake mix. Very simple- once you've done it a few time try adding things (nuts, coconut, caramel chips, etc)

Reaction score
I have a recipe for chocolate cake that I made that is just so easy.
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar(not Splenda, makes it dense, hard and salty. I have no idea why)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 stick softened butter
Mix until smooth. Pour into greased cake pan and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
It is moist, and just divine.

Reaction score
I would definitely try a basic mix first like brownies. See if you even like spending the time in the kitchen and then go from there. For a long time, brownie mixes were all I made but I was always adding something of my own to them: peanut butter, chocolate chips, nutella...sometimes all three at once. :) Once I met my husband, I had someone to bake for and I started branching out and then I got my mixer. Now, I try to make all homemade goods. Its a lot of fun to try new recipes. Its all about baby steps though...don't do something big until you know you like doing something small.

Reaction score
Shortbread is super easy for a newbie to make as it is only 3 ingriedients, flour, sugar, and butter. The cookies taste great and go good with coffee and all you have to do is roll them out into a nice triangle. I thought of this because I am going to be making some today.

Reaction score
I learned to bake many years ago, before box mixes were very good. But it was still a good way to start. The next step should be either muffins or cookies. Both are very easy. Muffins are easy because the batter is supposed to be lumpy. And cookies are nice to learn to do because there are so many varieties. My next to oldest daughter learned to make bread by watching me. She now makes the most delicious baked goods of all kinds and even sells some of them to friends.

Reaction score
I agree that after brownies should come cookies. They are really quite easy to make especially if you have an electric mixer. Hand mixed cookies come out great too...how else were they supposed to do it "back in the day"? I hope you love baking and everything turns out delicious...though I am sure it will!

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of no bake recipes for beginners (or if I just want something sweet for a party that's fast and easy). Ever tried making haystacks? There are plenty of recipes, but the basic concept is crushed up pretzels and a few other sweet things (cereal, oats, or candies) covered in melted chocolate. Just be sure to either use chocolate bark (sold in baking stores or in pretty much every store around the Christmastime) and check it every thirty seconds by stirring it when melting in the microwave so it doesn't burn. Make them in a muffin tin, using baking cups so there's no mess to clean up later. Enjoy! :)

Reaction score
A ready made mix would be easy that you can find on store shelves. But for me, when I first started off, I started with baking cookies. Not too many ingredients were needed- just flour, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, butter, vanilla extract, pinch of salt. There are hundreds of tutorials on youtube which really help.

Reaction score
Muffins are also very easy, especially since the lumpier the batter, the better. Once you've mastered them, cupcakes become easier - they required a lot of sieving and beating though to actually get good, fluffy cakes, which takes practice.
agreed. there are lots of flavors and types of muffin mixes available. :) good luck!

Reaction score
I am surprise to see mention of brownies as being simple. I never considered making brownies. I also notice people were recommending box cakes but I have graduated:). Interesting thread of more things to add to a subject we have touched before.

Reaction score
Cookies in any variety. Or breads. Bread is easy enough if you let it rise properly before baking it and just pay attention. If you fail like I did, just adjust your methods and the next batch/loaf will come out just fine.

Cookies are cheap and inexpensive, just like dough for the bread is, especially frozen. So if you fail, not only is not much money it's a valuable learning experience.

Ask a Question