Harris Teeter

Reaction score
Hello bakers! I am a new forum member. I baked bread, non-yeast sweet breads, cakes and even chicken. Make my own pizzas now (though I wish I could find some whole wheat or whole grain crusts -not dough). Though ready made pizza crusts save time, other than Wegmans all that are for sale in Giant, Safeway, HT, Shoppers, Food Lion , Wiess, Kroger, Aldi, Whole Foods, etc. are white flour crusts. An expatriate Brooklyn friend of mine who distributes ready-made pizza dough and crusts tells me : "you do not want to know what is in pizza crusts". My mother, who made her own dough, sauce, etc. (worked in an Italian restaurant while in grade school during the Depression so she could eat) would always mix whole wheat flour into her dough mixes.

Harris Teeter- does anyone remember Harris Teeter brand cake mixes? They were so superior to Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines yet HT pulled them off their shelves. I have questioned HT managers and even the company's consumer affairs office about reason for removal and I am told "I did not know we even had HT brand cake mixes" or "Sorry, I do not recall these" or "I was not with HT back then".

I know I am not going insane or living in the Twilight Zone ... I only made their vanilla cake about a dozen times.

When food products are pulled from shelves there are usually reasons such as slow sales, US FDA has had complaints or found a "bad" ingredient or association with a bad outcome like Mad Cow disease. In the case of HT cake mixes I wonder if the competition (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker) objected (HT cake mixes sold well).

Nevertheless when someone at HT corporate who sounded like they were 25 years to 30 years old tells me HT never sold their own cake mixes, I am disturbed.

Does anyone out there recall HT brand cake mixes?

Beguiled

Brian

Reaction score
Hello bakers! I am a new forum member. I baked bread, non-yeast sweet breads, cakes and even chicken. Make my own pizzas now (though I wish I could find some whole wheat or whole grain crusts -not dough). Though ready made pizza crusts save time, other than Wegmans all that are for sale in Giant, Safeway, HT, Shoppers, Food Lion , Wiess, Kroger, Aldi, Whole Foods, etc. are white flour crusts. An expatriate Brooklyn friend of mine who distributes ready-made pizza dough and crusts tells me : "you do not want to know what is in pizza crusts". My mother, who made her own dough, sauce, etc. (worked in an Italian restaurant while in grade school during the Depression so she could eat) would always mix whole wheat flour into her dough mixes.

Harris Teeter- does anyone remember Harris Teeter brand cake mixes? They were so superior to Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines yet HT pulled them off their shelves. I have questioned HT managers and even the company's consumer affairs office about reason for removal and I am told "I did not know we even had HT brand cake mixes" or "Sorry, I do not recall these" or "I was not with HT back then".

I know I am not going insane or living in the Twilight Zone ... I only made their vanilla cake about a dozen times.

When food products are pulled from shelves there are usually reasons such as slow sales, US FDA has had complaints or found a "bad" ingredient or association with a bad outcome like Mad Cow disease. In the case of HT cake mixes I wonder if the competition (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker) objected (HT cake mixes sold well).

Nevertheless when someone at HT corporate who sounded like they were 25 years to 30 years old tells me HT never sold their own cake mixes, I am disturbed.

Does anyone out there recall HT brand cake mixes?

Beguiled

Brian

Grocery stores do not produce any of the goods sold under there private label. Example, Trader Joe’s does not produce any of the products they sell. The contract with companies that already produce these products. For example my brothe’s business partner provides Trader Joe’s with all of their dried mangoes. His company is the only one that produces dried mangoes in Mexico. So his company in fact supplies all the dried mangoes for all the brand names as well. So whether you buy Trader Joe’s or you buy the more expensive brand names at another grocery store you’re actually getting the same dried mangoes. They’re all coming out of the mango farms, the same processing facility. The only difference is some get put in a package with Trader Joe’s name, some get put in a package with another company name.

Now each company though does have standards for size, color, etc. trader Joe’s may except a mango I have a slightly smaller size or color than the other company. but all these mangoes are all coming from the same farms, same facilities.

Same thing with cake mixes. There’s a handful of mills. Some deal to the trade only, and they package in 50 pound sacks. Lotta people don’t realize that the cake they buy from the bakery is actually from a cake mix.

The mills that sell to the trade only do not have the production lines to package small retail boxes. And setting up a designated production line is extremely expensive. So the mills that are going to contract to grocery stores for private label are brands that already package for retail sale and distribution.

So the HT cake mix what was most likely Conagra (Duncan Hines) or General Mills (Betty Crocker & Pillsbury).

if the product has been discontinued, it was most likely because of poor sales.

Ask a Question