Heart Healthy cooking oil

Reaction score
is there really any oil that is good to cook and deep fry with ? I've been using Mazola corn or canola oil,they both say Cholesterol free and 0 Trans Fat and both say heart healthy

are there better brands or a type of oil to use ? and it needs to be cost effective for me,i have to watch where the money goes :) I've tried Olive Oil and to be honest most of the cooking I do makes it smoke,so that means it is burnt right ? and would it be better to use Olive Oil in baking recipes ? I wonder about the temperatures and if it will burn

I would like to hear from everybody and please let me know what Brand you are using and if you consider it to be a healthy choice ,yes i have a Cholesterol check coming up in January and no,I'm not going to change my diet just for the test,I figure eat as I normally do and see what happens :)

and yes,i do know that baking is a lot better than frying is , and yes I wished I could do my deep frying with good ole pig lard,I have seen some shows that say it isn't as bad as you think,but as much as I love cooking in some good pig fat,I just can't see that as the best option for me

when i lived on the Hog ranch I did make my own lard,it was surprisingly easy,all i did was put some chunks of pig fat in a pot and set it on the wood stove over night and then just pour it in a container the next morning,the 2 years I was there I ate more Hog than a person should ever eat lol as part of the deal,I got a hog every year

oooh and i had some Bacon cured,wow now that stuff was awesome lol

i canned, froze and cured sausage,ribs and back bones, hams shoulders and jowls,had a bunch of fried liver,I even had head cheese wow that stuff was great,pork chops ,the true Tenderloin,fresh fried it and had biscuits and gravy with it and one other thing about the hogs,I've never tried a slice of the tongue or any type of tongue,I plan on changing that,which is better beef or hog tongue ?

so now i need to adjust from those early years lol it is hard to believe that I ate a pile of ham for Christmas isn't it ?I did get carried away thinking about butchering a hog didn't I ? :)

Reaction score
Coconut oil. I use that oil for frying because that oil has a high smoking point, which means it's perfect for frying. Plus that oil is known for its health benefits, hey are many! I recommend you to google it! Oh, but the oil has to be virgin and organic if you want the best results.

Reaction score
Inalso like the coconut oil. Only problem is that the cocnut oil has a very strong taste, so if you dont mind whatever you're frying having a cocnut taste than it's the healthy way to go.

Reaction score
@Bakers12 I actually think that coconut makes everything taste much better ;) But some coconut oils have a stronger taste than others, while others taste totally different when compared with each other. It depends on the brand, and whether or not the oil is organic or not... virgin or not, etc.

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of coconut,I like some on a cake every now and again,but that is about it

Ask a Question