Healthy Baking?

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in.

I'm starting to watch what I eat these days (gained a few pounds over the summer lol) and the problem is I have a major sweet tooth. Can anyone recommend any healthy baking recipes they have tried and tasted good? Extra points is if it has some chocolate in it :) Thanks!

Reaction score
I've been getting into 'healthier' baking recently! I'm trying to cut down on refined sugar in my diet, which is really quite tricky.

I really like these chocolate chip cookies - you have to give them a try: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/gluten-free-vegan-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.2945/

These lemon and poppyseed cupcakes were really good too: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/vegan-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins.1669/

I really like Minimalist Baker for healthy recipes, it's well worth a look :)

Reaction score
Best of luck losing that weight, I have tried to do the same this year but no luck! Yes, my sweet tooth and the meds I am on are doing that :oops: Sadly I know no healthy baking recipes per se, but I do substitutions a lot when am feeling more conscious! Like for example using Stevia instead of your average sugar or using apple sauce too. And so on. I also like to experiment with gluten free flour from time to time.

You can come up with your own healthy versions of your fav recipes, you just need to risk it a bit, use your best judgement and feel daring enough ;)

Reaction score
I've been getting into 'healthier' baking recently! I'm trying to cut down on refined sugar in my diet, which is really quite tricky.

I really like these chocolate chip cookies - you have to give them a try: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/gluten-free-vegan-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.2945/

These lemon and poppyseed cupcakes were really good too: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/vegan-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins.1669/

I really like Minimalist Baker for healthy recipes, it's well worth a look :)
It's as if you know me! Those are two of my favourite desserts! I need to try them! I noticed a few of the ingredients I don't usually use but makes sense as these ones reduce the calories and sugar! Thanks for your suggestions, can't wait to try them!

Reaction score
I have a recipe that I love for chocolate chip banana bran muffins...it gives me that chocolate hit that I want but without a ridiculous amount of sugar. Plus there's the healthy fiber aspect of the muffins too! The recipe makes 10 regular sized muffins - here's what you need...

• 1 ½ cup (180g) oat bran
  • ⅓ cup (80mL) skim milk
  • ¾ cup (200g) mashed banana (about 2 medium)
  • 1 ½ tsp (8mL) vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (120g) whole wheat flour
  • 1 ½ (4g) tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp (1g) baking soda
  • 1 tsp (3) ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp (2g) salt
  • 1 tbsp (14g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ cup (60mL) honey
  • ¼ cup (60mL) molasses
  • 3 tbsp (42g) miniature chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat 10 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the oat bran, milk, banana, and vanilla extract. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, honey, and molasses until thoroughly combined. When the oat bran mixture is ready, stir it into the butter mixture. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in 2 ½ tablespoons of chocolate chips.
  4. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups, and lightly press the remaining chocolate chips into the tops of the batter. Bake at 350°F for 19-21 minutes, or until the tops are just barely firm to the touch. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack.

Reaction score
It's as if you know me! Those are two of my favourite desserts! I need to try them! I noticed a few of the ingredients I don't usually use but makes sense as these ones reduce the calories and sugar! Thanks for your suggestions, can't wait to try them!

Excellent! :D Let us know if you give them a try!

Reaction score
Each one of us had different body metabolism. lf a person had slow metabolism there is a tendency that if they will not watch their diet they will really gain weight. That is why eat a healthy balance diet, eat sweet and sugary foods in moderation and have an exercise regimen. The above baking recipes I think is a good choice for you to give it a try. :)

Reaction score
I'm always interested in the healthy conversation. I find scones to be my healthiest bake of late. Not much sugar and the whole wheat I tried recently was very good. I've tried a Vegan Arrowhead cookie that was quite good but I don't know if you should trust these mixes. I like the sound of the vegan lemon muffin.

Reaction score
Anything I can make with whole wheat I do. My banana bread has translated the best to white whole wheat. I tried it with our pizza crusts too, but they don't bake up as nicely. So those have stayed AP. You can also replace sugar with pure maple syrup. Honey is good a sweetner as well.

In baking, replace 1 cup of white sugar with 3/4 cup of maple syrup and reduce by 3 tablespoons the other liquid content in the recipe for every cup of maple syrup used. Because maple syrup is brown and granulated sugar is white, this replacement will darken your baked goods and cause them to brown quicker.

Reaction score
Over the past few years I have posted several clean eating/healthy eating baked treats on my blog. I started this because my triglycerides went up sky high and my doctor told me to cut out baked food. Instead cut out all of the processed foods and my triglycerides went back down. Not gonna lie, increasing my cardio and gym workouts also helped but healthier eating is just as important. And I do allow myself to cheat because I workout.

Cut out white sugar and white flour altogether. In place of white sugar use Coconut/palm sugar which measures cup for cup. I have also used maple syrup and honey which I love the flavor more and are less bad for you but those can change the texture, flavor, and results because they are liquid. Some recipes only call for butter and eggs as the source for liquid/moisture. If you reduce the butter than you might compromise the flavor and if you reduce the eggs, you won't have the elasticity.

Coconut/palm sugar, maple syrup and honey are much lower on the glycemic index than sugar and will not make your blood sugar jump up which gives you that sugar high and then back down like white sugar. That's important to know because white sugar (even organic sugar) will make you crave more sugar when you reach that low whereas sweeteners lower on the glycemic index will satisfy you longer so you won't eat as much sweets.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT THING TO DO: wean yourself down, but not off, of sugar. Try using a little less sugar than what the recipe calls for. Eventually you might be able to use 1/4 to 1/3 less sugar and you won't notice a difference. Just keep in mind that even healthier non-processed, natural sweeteners such as the ones mentioned here are still high in calories. So even if you switch to healthier sweeteners non-processed sweeteners and you don't cut back, you're still going to put on the extra weight.

That's why I recommend cutting down on how much you use and and seeing how they rate on the glycemic index. Sugar carbs actually give us energy but most of us get too much of it. The healthiest sugars come from fruit and I've seen some recipes that call for ground up dates formed into a paste as the sweetener but I don't like the taste and texture of baked food using date paste.

Instead of white flour, I use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour which is not the same as whole wheat flour. Corn syrup is another thing I no longer use. Instead I use Tapioca syrup which is quite difficult to get but available on Amazon. If you have to use corn syrup and use it in moderation but cut back on the sugars, you should be ok.

I hope I didn't confuse you. If I did research the glycemic index and sweeteners on the glycemic index.

Last edited:

Ask a Question