Hexagon shaped cake

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Wilton hexagon pans? How do they perform? I’m not a fan of Wilton pans as they produce too much browning and a dry crust on the sides. But they seem to be the only company that produces a hexagon pan.

Reaction score
I've never used a hexagon pan myself - in fact I'm not a fan of specially shaped pans at all, if it was me I'd probably make a square cake a cut it down. What will you be using it for?

Reaction score
I've never used a hexagon pan myself - in fact I'm not a fan of specially shaped pans at all, if it was me I'd probably make a square cake a cut it down. What will you be using it for?

Yes I too, stay away from the novelty pans. But I’m going to make a two-tiered carousel cake. The bottom tier will be a 9” hexagon and the top-tier a tall 6” barrel.

I normally cut my round and square cake layers from a sheet cake to begin with. So cutting a hexagon from a sheet cake is probably the best approach. After I read your comment I did a quick Internet search for hexagon cake rings. Lo and behold, Fat Daddio makes a hexagon cake ring!! And the Cake Safe company makes acrylic hexagon icing guides. This cake is going to be covered in a modified Swiss meringue buttercream instead of fondant. So I need to make sure the edges and corners are really clean and sharp.

OK so I think I got a plan.

Reaction score
Ooh that sounds like a fantastic project! I can't wait to hear more about it :D

Ask a Question