Hibiscus Drink

Reaction score
I really enjoy making Hibiscus Drink, especially during the summer time when it gets really hot. I usually make two large glass containers, but I only made one today. I just add some ice and a few slices of freshly picked lemons from my garden. It's a very refreshing and delicious drink... :p

INGREDIENTS

3 quarts (12 cups) water
2 1/2 cups dried hibiscus flowers
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 large lime)

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large pot bring water to a boil over high heat.

Add dried hibiscus flowers to pot of boiling water, add sugar and stir until sugar has dissolved.

Let steep for 15-20 minutes.

Stir in lime juice.

Set aside to cool.

Strain through fine mesh strainer or a chinois into a large, plastic or glass container.

Refrigerate or Add ice to ch

You can add vanilla extract to add more flavor, but I before using cherry extract instead.

images-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have seen a drink like this in bottles in the store. I could never bring myselfe to try a beverage made from flowers. I know that it's not that different from tea but still it is a little to much for me.

Reaction score
I have seen a drink like this in bottles in the store. I could never bring myselfe to try a beverage made from flowers. I know that it's not that different from tea but still it is a little to much for me.
Exactly, it's not different from other tea. The dried flowers can be steeped in a cup of hot water and drinking as a tea. Hibiscus Drink has a lot of medical benefits also. It's a very nice tasting beverage and you won't know unless you give it a try!!! ;)

Reaction score
I really like it too but I always put cinnamon sticks in mine. I first learned how to make it from refugees from Liberia who came to Ghana while we were doing volunteer work there. I have yet to learn how to dry my own leaves and make it home-ade though. Sometimes they also add pineapple juice to the cold tea as well. Oddly, we could only get the dried leaves from the Liberians so I am curious about the drying process. I have read that it is very good for blood pressure, sugar levels, and cholesterol. But it is high in acid so I don't think it can go with milk unlike root bound herbal teas. I found some Hibiscus Flower recipe's for baking, I bet they would make the colors of baked goods really pretty: http://www.yummly.com/recipes/hibiscus-flower

Reaction score
Wow, that looks and sounds amazing. I have never tried this, and it sounds so easy to make! I wish I had Hibiscus in my yard, maybe that should be the next thing I plant. I need to find someone to let me harvest some of theirs, maybe in trade for some of this drink?

Reaction score
There is a brand of tea here called Celestial Seasons that has a number of flavors of tea that all have hibiscus in them. They are called "zinger" and they are so good. I love hibiscus it gives such a nice flavor and the color is beautiful.

Reaction score
I love it, in my country this drink is very popular and is also a natural diuretic! I used to drink that as a kid, my mom used to make this drink for us, because she didn't like the idea of us drinking sodas.

Ask a Question