Hmmm where do donuts go?

Reaction score
Are donuts considered cakes or pastries? I guess it depends on the type, since there are cake donuts and then there are those light, airy, yeasty ones. I don't know where to post about the light ones.. pastry I guess?

Either way, I'm wondering how to make filled donuts. Any suggestions would be great.

Reaction score
Get yourself a flavor injector or a fine tip icing tip and you can use both to fill your donuts. I have had success with both tools. Just be careful that you don't use too much filling or it will squirting out the other end.

Reaction score
Yum, filled donuts are my favorite. I'd probably put them in with pastries. I had the same issue before, but I don't recall what I was posting. What kind of filling are you going to put in them? Vanilla cream (Dunkin' Donuts) is my favorite, then strawberry jelly and lemon come next, yum!

Reaction score
I agree with Diane, I would place them under the pastry section. Specially the filled ones. I haven't had a donut in a while, my favorite ones are the pistachio ones. Love the glaze. A good chocolate ones is never bad. Good luck with your donuts.

Reaction score
Cut the donuts into rounds using a biscuit cutter,,, or a glass,, and then fry as usuall. Use a pastry bag with a round tip on it, fill it with whatever filling you choose, poke it into the side or bottom of the donut and squeeze. Just do not try to put to much filling in the donut or it will burst. My family loves filled donuts, but I cheat when I make them. I either fry a whole canned biscuit or I cut it into halves and fry it. Then I fill them and roll them in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. My family loves them even though they are not a sweet donut like one you make from scratch.

Reaction score
I agree with donuts going in the pastry section. To be honest, I think if you can eat it by hand without someone making a face at you (like they would if you eat a piece of cake by hand), then it goes in the pastry section. ;):p:D

Reaction score
It would be quite an accomplishment for me to make donuts and I really don't have the tools required to make donuts. It's interesting that it would be considered pastry. Truth be told, I don't think I'd know how to categorize it myself. I like them, but I only like simple ones like those with cinnamon or the coconut lightly sprinkled on top. I just can't do the fillings with all the sweet stuff or even the sprinkles of sweetness. Joyce seems to have it covered. Have a look at this recipe. I couldn't touch this with a 10ft pole. Too much sugar.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vanilla-cream-filled-doughnuts-364349

Reaction score
Oh, Diane, you're a girl after my own heart. I enjoy vanilla.

It would be quite an accomplishment for me to make donuts and I really don't have the tools required to make donuts. It's interesting that it would be considered pastry. Truth be told, I don't think I'd know how to categorize it myself. I like them, but I only like simple ones like those with cinnamon or the coconut lightly sprinkled on top. I just can't do the fillings with all the sweet stuff or even the sprinkles of sweetness. Joyce seems to have it covered. Have a look at this recipe. I couldn't touch this with a 10ft pole. Too much sugar.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vanilla-cream-filled-doughnuts-364349

I think I just drooled. Oh my, do those donuts look good. I am NOT making those. I am NOT.

Reaction score

Those look so delicious I pinned them and emailed myself the link. I don't eat donuts very often, but when I do, I want something really amazing, and I think I've found it here.

Reaction score
I have thought of making a bread pudding from left over donuts that we don't eat as a way of repurposing them, but have not had a chance to experiment yet. I figure that it would be a delicious mix since bread pudding tastes very good when you make it with regular bread. The filled donuts would probably be even better because you would get tastes of fruit filling and custard. I have to test this out now.

Reaction score
Oh, Diane, you're a girl after my own heart. I enjoy vanilla.

I think I just drooled. Oh my, do those donuts look good. I am NOT making those. I am NOT.

Zyni, I knew you would like those. I really have to tip my hat you folks who can lap up that sweetness. The sweetest thing I have had might be a cinnamon roll with all the gooey sweet stuff and I've had to eat it over a long period. Were I to make donuts, I'd be happy to make the basic ones.

Reaction score
Zyni, I knew you would like those. I really have to tip my hat you folks who can lap up that sweetness. The sweetest thing I have had might be a cinnamon roll with all the gooey sweet stuff and I've had to eat it over a long period. Were I to make donuts, I'd be happy to make the basic ones.

Well, I can't really indulge fully, even though I'd like to. If I made something like that, I'd maybe eat half of one and then pick at the rest over the course of the day. I don't need to be eating donuts or other sweets at all though.

Thanks for mentioning cinnamon rolls though... now I want to bake some of those!

I am way too suggestible.

Reaction score
images
I doubt I could eat any of these. In the past when someone brought me the wrong donut, I've had to eat the bottom and leave all the sweetness on the top.

Reaction score
images
I doubt I could eat any of these. In the past when someone brought me the wrong donut, I've had to eat the bottom and leave all the sweetness on the top.

Yum! I couldn't tackle those either, but I'd sure like to give it a try!! :D

I think donuts are considered as pastries....:)

I believe you are correct (unless they are specifically "cake donuts").

Reaction score
I had what we call a 'long john' yesterday. I Googled that and found this:
Long%20John%20Chocolate_MD.JPG
Mine was plain and had raisins only in it. I was happy with my choice.

Ask a Question