How to make sturdy deep white chocolate hoop to surround wedding cake ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m quite a cake decorating novice yet my daughter has asked me to make her wedding cake !! I have seen a simple 4 tier chocolate cake with deep white chocolate hoops that are made separately then slipped over each tier to surround each individual cake, I am unsure that tempered white chocolate will be strong enough I’m thinking chocolate paste that sets rigid is the answer.. any tips please

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I can't quite picture what you mean, could you share a photo?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m quite a cake decorating novice yet my daughter has asked me to make her wedding cake !! I have seen a simple 4 tier chocolate cake with deep white chocolate hoops that are made separately then slipped over each tier to surround each individual cake, I am unsure that tempered white chocolate will be strong enough I’m thinking chocolate paste that sets rigid is the answer.. any tips please

Attachments

• BC4B9A2E-67B4-4C28-AE59-D5D6E8EB7B29.png
    BC4B9A2E-67B4-4C28-AE59-D5D6E8EB7B29.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 410
Reaction score
Also best method to imitate the basic decoration on these hoops? I have some ideas going to do a few trials !

Reaction score
08A8D7D4-7015-4DD4-AB7F-3249280B8449.png
So then my next task is to work out how to replicate the decoration around the hoop ! I have some ideas tomorrow I will experiment.. then book myself onto a cake decorating course my family imagine I’m super mum can make anything lol

Reaction score
In the US we call that a cake collar. It is made with chocolate. Some people use candy melts/coating. I personally never use candy melts/coating because it taste terrible.

If you want your collar to be glossy you will need to temper the chocolate.

The chocolate is spread on an food grade acetate strip, then left to set up slightly before it’s wrapped around the cake or form.

Acetate strips are available through restaurant supply stores, specialty cake decorating stores, and online.

You can also use chocolate transfer sheet if you want a design on the chocolate collar. You will have to cut and piece together the transfer sheet to make it long enough to wrap around the cake tier.

How to make a cake collar.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-wrap-a-cake-with-chocolate-521288

Example of acetate strips

https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-...ocphy=1014226&hvtargid=pla-451109824201&psc=1

Example of chocolate transfer sheets.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/chocolate-candy/transfer-sheets.html

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo, I had pictured something completely different!

Good advice from @Norcalbaker59 ^^^ :)

This is definitely something that is worth practising. Tempering white chocolate can be difficult, and finding the right point where it's flexible enough to wrap around the cake but sturdy enough to stand up will also be tricky. It's a gorgeous effect though!

Reaction score
Thanks for you replies , the cake image has the hoops made separately you assemble the cake then slide them over, yes it would be easier to make a chocolate collar Adele it directly to the cake but I need to make the cakes in advance keep them sealed , not possible with the collar in place ,the idea is to make the collars freestanding is this possible with chocolate alone or would I need to make a chocolate paste if so what would I add to the melted chocolate to make a sturdy freestanding collar ?

Reaction score
Thanks for you replies , the cake image has the hoops made separately you assemble the cake then slide them over, yes it would be easier to make a chocolate collar Adele it directly to the cake but I need to make the cakes in advance keep them sealed , not possible with the collar in place ,the idea is to make the collars freestanding is this possible with chocolate alone or would I need to make a chocolate paste if so what would I add to the melted chocolate to make a sturdy freestanding collar ?

Tempered chocolate should be sturdy enough for that as long as it's not too thin, and I guess you could wrap it around the outside of the cake tin as a guide. But also bear in mind that you can make the cake in advance and just add the white chocolate collar closer to the time ;)

Ask a Question