Intro

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have Celiac Disease and I'm working on bread machine recipes right now. Gluten free of course. I used to bake whole grain breads with gluten, and now I am transferring that skill as much as possible to the new challenge. To make matters worse, I must be allergic to xanthan gum because it irritates my gut every time, so I end up either not eating bread or making it myself. This is my latest experiment which uses a mixer, not a bread machine. The result is really quite nice.

Substantial Gluten Free "Multigrain" Bread Recipe
Stand Mixer (Experiment 5)

This is turning into a recipe, not an experiment. My husband likes bread that isn't light as a feather, and this really hit the targets of flavor, texture and sandwich usability.My best description of it would be that it's similar to multigrain, but the flavor is deeper and slightly on the sweet side. It also toasts like a champ.

Mixer: Farberware 4.7 Qt, 6 Speed (Walmart brand)
Attachments: K paddle and dough hook

2 cups warm water (525 g)
2 Tbsp sugar (35g)
1 yeast packet (I used Fleischman's Active, not Rapid) (about 8g or 2 and 1/4 tsp dry yeast)

B
3 eggs
2 tsp vinegar (I used Braag Apple Cider Vinegar)
-- add and mix the vinegar in just before you start adding flour

C
2 Tbsp psyllium powder (30g)
1/4 cup chia seeds (50g)
1/3 cup flax seeds *ground (60g)
1 cup Namaste flour (150g)
1/2 cup Almond Flour (50g)
1/2 cup Coconut Flour (50g)
1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour, *ground (100g)
2 tsp salt

Steps

1. Grind anything you need to grind (buckwheat, flax) and warm the eggs by placing them in hot tap water to warm up for 5 minutes. (Chilly eggs from the refrigerator will stop the yeast working.)

2. Combine the flours under "C" above and mix - don't forget the salt.

3. Add warm water, yeast and sugar to the mixer and mix on lowest speed for one minute (K paddle attachment). Allow to stand 1 minute. Check that the yeast is awake, there should be a foamy film on the liquid in the bowl.

4. Add the eggs (I didn't beat the eggs first), turn machine to second setting a bit higher than the lowest setting. When eggs are mixed in, add the bit of vinegar and allow to mix for 10 sec.

5. Begin adding flour one tablespoon at a time, and then you can add faster once it's looking like a batter. Once all the flour is mixed in, and you've scraped the bowl, if there wasn't much or any dry flour, then put the dough in a warm place to rise.

6. I like to put it in a plastic bowl and cover it. Then I put it in an oven that was on for 20 seconds and then turned off.

*meanwhile, clean up, it will be easy to clean now, harder later

7. Rise for 1 hour. (spectacular rise 2 and 1/2 times in size!) I wish it had stayed that way.

8. Preheat oven to 350 F.

8. Attach the dough hook, "knead" the dough for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a large/full size bread pan by spraying with oil spray and putting parchment paper in the bottom.

* the purpose of kneading in GF bread is to redistribute the yeast and create a more even crumb.

9. Put the dough in sections into the bread pan, wet a hand to avoid having the dough stick to you, and smooth the top. This dough is actually elastic so beware of sliding the parchment paper out of place as you smooth.

10. I had cut the top before the final proof / rise. I didn't realize the dough needed no help. You can wait until just after the second rise to slash the top. Rise 2: 30-40 min, until the dough reaches the edge of the pan.

11. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes; then at 300 F for 20 minutes.

12. Use an instant read thermometer to confirm the center is at least 205 F. If so, it's done, if not, leave on 300 F and take temperature until the reading is correct.

If the temperature is "too high" that's probably fine. There are plenty of water holding ingredients. Overcooking it is more forgiving than undercooking it.

Allow to stand in the pan on the counter for 20 minutes. Then cool on a rack. Do not slice until 90 minutes have passed, preferably 2-3 hours. It will be worth the wait, promise!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello @Angelica, welcome to the forums :D.

Hopefully you'll find the gluten free section here useful, it'll be nice to have some more activity and expertise in that section with all of your gluten free baking :)

Reaction score
Hello @Angelica, welcome to the forums :D.

Hopefully you'll find the gluten free section here useful, it'll be nice to have some more activity and expertise in that section with all of your gluten free baking :)

Thanks! Happy to help if I can, and it's always fun to talk about baking.

Ask a Question