Italian Milk Cookies

Reaction score
My Grandmother used to make these and I can't find the recipe that she used anywhere. Has anyone heard of these or know where I can find the recipe?

I have found a few recipes that were similar but when I tried them they were not quite the same. They weren't a sweet cookie. She would roll the dough out and make twisted shapes like candy canes or wreath circles. They were a solid cookie, not soft, but not hard either. They were perfect for dunking.

Reaction score
Thank you, blueeyes. :)

I talked to my aunt and she said my grandmother had the recipe written out and it is in one of her little recipe boxes. She's going to dig it up for me and give it to me. YAY!

As soon as I get it from her, I will post it here for anyone that may be interested. We can't let these old recipes die off.

Reaction score
I have never heard of these, although I like the name itself. If you do find the recipe please do share.

Reaction score
Thank you, blueeyes. :)

I talked to my aunt and she said my grandmother had the recipe written out and it is in one of her little recipe boxes. She's going to dig it up for me and give it to me. YAY!

As soon as I get it from her, I will post it here for anyone that may be interested. We can't let these old recipes die off.

You got that right, Cheerio....Some of the best recipes are the older ones our grandmothers had. I can't wait to see the recipe because I'm gung ho about trying it:)

Reaction score
jodiann - Those sound really good! But, it's different from the ones I am looking for. Grandma's cookies were more of a hard cookie, good for dunking. Great recipe you found, though! I may also try those too! Thank you!!

Still waiting for my aunt to get back to me with the recipe.

Reaction score
I have never heard of Italian milk cookies, but I am definitely interested in your grandmother's recipes. I love that you're willing to share with people. Sadly, my grandmother's recipes were taken from my aunt and I haven't seen them since.

Reaction score
Yes, I have heard of the Italian Milk Cookies from my mother that my grand mother use to make. It is somewhat similar to the recipe as follows:

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter, softened

• 1/2 cup white sugar

• 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

• 3 cups all-purpose flour

• 3 teaspoons baking powder
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture until blended. Divide dough into walnut sized portions. Roll each piece into a rope and then shape into a loop. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm and golden at the edges.

Ask a Question