Just joined!

Reaction score
Hi there! Are you looking for recipes for a fruit cake or have you already got a recipe that you have some questions about?

Welcome to the forums! :)
Hi there, I have quite a few recipes for rich fruit cakes, but the last one I made was a bit hard on the top. This was to have been the top tier of my daughter's wedding cake, but I am going to do another this weekend. Thanks to those who have kindly replied with help and advice.I

I think that Becky's advice to not bake it for as long is probably where I went wrong. I made a cake (Kenwood rich fruit celebration cake) a few months ago and it was lovely and wasn't hard on top. Will need to get these done soon or we'll be buying ready made ones from M & S:(

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for your welcome messages.....Becky, I have now baked another top tier for the wedding cake. Unfortunately, I failed to realise that the second recipe had no treacle in it and it is a lot paler than the first. My initial problem was that I thought it had cooled down leaving the cake a bit hard on top, the second (paler) cake, seemed less firm, but has now ended up nearly as firm!:(

I am still considering my next step.......or whether to go to M & S and buy the individual tiers....

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for your welcome messages.....Becky, I have now baked another top tier for the wedding cake. Unfortunately, I failed to realise that the second recipe had no treacle in it and it is a lot paler than the first. My initial problem was that I thought it had cooled down leaving the cake a bit hard on top, the second (paler) cake, seemed less firm, but has now ended up nearly as firm!:(

I am still considering my next step.......or whether to go to M & S and buy the individual tiers....

Oh no! Does it matter about the colour if you haven't made the other tiers yet? Also, would it be worth cutting into once of the cakes to find out what it's like? You might find it's ok after all - and if not, then at least you'll know for sure!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find the perfect recipe for that wedding cake :) If you have any doubt or question please don't hesitate to post on here and just ask! We are always here to help!

Reaction score
Hello to everyone who replied with a welcome.......Update! I managed to do the three-tier rich fruit wedding cake:)
It was really delicious, although I say this myself.....lol! We had to take the tiers in separate boxes 120 miles and then I had to assemble it the night before the wedding. Would I do it again? Not sure, it was so stressful!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh no! Does it matter about the colour if you haven't made the other tiers yet? Also, would it be worth cutting into once of the cakes to find out what it's like? You might find it's ok after all - and if not, then at least you'll know for sure!

Becky, the wedding was on the 19th February........ages ago now, but it all turned out well in the end. The reason I was concerned about the colour of the mixture was because my daughter didn't want the icing to cover the sides of the cake, only the tops. So in the end, I ended up making all three tiers, using the same recipe which was the safest way to go. Had my daughter wanted the icing right round the sides there wouldn't have been a problem. Will post a photo of the cake if I can manage to do so.

I have pinned a photo of the wedding cake onto my Pinterest board entitled Wedding Cakes, if anyone wants to have a look. Just to on to Pinterest.com and search for Solway Ceramics Wedding Cakes board

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMG-20160313-WA0004[1].jpg
IMG-20160313-WA0004[1].jpg IMG-20160313-WA0004[1].jpg Here is the photo of the wedding cake when it was completely finished. It might have been simpler to have had the fondant icing all around the sides of the cake, but this was what my daughter wanted......something a bit different. Anyway, it tasted delicious and I was glad I did it rather than buying from M & S!

Reaction score
Beautiful! You must be so proud of how it turned out, and I bet your daughter was thrilled! :)

Ask a Question