Less Sweet Royal Icing

Reaction score
The only problem again is that I really wasn't interested in making it taste less sweet as much as just having much less sugar. I know you can add things like lemon juice and salt to make it taste less sweet, but it's still a huge amount of sugar.

I still think that there is a way to do it by making a cooked icing sort of RI blend almost. I haven't given up hope!

Lard4Hire

Got it!
Try this... make up a batch of poured fondant AKA petit four icing.
Really simple.
It won't dry as firm as RI but that is easily fixed by dropping a square of almond bark in and letting it melt then slowly stir to combine (if you create bubbles they are almost impossible to smooth out).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got it!
Try this... make up a batch of poured fondant AKA petit four icing.
Really simple.
It won't dry as firm as RI but that is easily fixed by dropping a square of almond bark in and letting it melt then slowly stir to combine (if you create bubbles they are almost impossible to smooth out).

It looks interesting but there are sure a wide variety of methods used from powdered to regular sugar. I like the idea of regular sugar because I find it less sickening sweet and most recipes using it (like cooked icing) seem to use a lot less. I will certainly look into this, interesting. I still think there has got to be a way to incorporate meringue powder into something like this in some way in order to add body like RI. Thanks for the info!

Lard4Hire

Ask a Question