How to Make a Taller Cherry Chip Cake

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to make a birthday cake for my kid's birthday (coming up in 4 days -- I need this figured out before then.)

The cake I was asked to make was the Cherry Chip Cake with Cherry Buttercream from the book "Vintage Cakes" by Julie Richardson
Here's a link to the recipe:
http://bakinginpyjamas.com/tag/vintage-cakes-by-julia-richardson/

though keep in mind that this person made it into cupcakes and the recipe originally calls for 3 8-inch pans.

I wanted a slightly larger cake so I decided to make the test cake in 3 9" pans. I multiplied the ingredients by 1.25 to get the amounts for the 9" pans. I weigh all of my ingredients, and use a thermometer to check for doneness. I don't own a stand mixer; I do all the mixing by hand. I don't think I'm having an oven temp issue, and I cool pans as recommended by the recipe (30 mins in pan, then until completely cool on rack.

)
The issue I'm having is that the 1st test cake, though delicious, had dense, compact crumb, and was oily. It was maybe an inch tall after cooling. For the 2nd test cake I decided that I should increase the amount of baking powder since it seemed a bit scant in the recipe. After upping the total to 3 1/4tsp, it does seem to have improved the crumb, but the layers are still sort of short. I don't taste the baking powder, so I think I'll use the new bigger amount in the final cake.
I'd like a nice TALL cake though. Should I beat the egg whites before I fold them in? The recipe doesn't have you do that, though I believe it may help, though it may make it dry? Or maybe I should use half cake flour, half all purpose? What factors go into a nice tall cake anyway? If you guys can give me any suggestions, it would be so, so helpful. I really want my daughter to get the cake she asked for for her birthday.

Reaction score
Apologies @BakedVanilla, your post went into a moderation queue because of the link you shared. How did you get on with the cake in the end?

Reaction score
Wow, I never would have thought to multiply the ingredients that way. I don't like the stress of having to bake or cook on demand, so I'm sure that was stressful for you. I'd probably have just doubled the recipe and extended the cooking time, put the extra batter in a separate pan and frozen it once it was cooked. I hope the cake turned out well and the party was fun for your son or daughter.

Ask a Question