New York City has lost its mind for the Cronut

Reaction score
Apparently there's an hours-long wait for a new pastry available only at the Dominique Ansel Bakery:

cronut21-300x300.jpg

What is a Cronut™?
Half croissant, half doughnut — the pastry hybrid created by Chef Dominique Ansel that is taking the world by storm. After it’s launch on May 10, 2013, Cronut fans spanned the world from Berlin to Singapore, making it the most viral dessert item to date.
Please do eat Cronuts immediately as they have a short shelf life. And if you do cut, please use a serrated knife, so as not to crush the layers.
The Makings of a Cronut™…
Taking 2 months and more than 10 recipes, Chef Dominique Ansel’s creation is not to be mistaken as simply croissant dough that has been fried. Made with a laminated dough similar to a croissant (but not exactly), the Cronut is first proofed and then fried in grapeseed oil at a specific temperature. Once cooked, each Cronut is flavored in three ways: 1. rolled in sugar; 2. filled with cream; and 3. topped with glaze. Cronuts are made fresh daily, and completely done in house. The entire process takes up to 3 days.
There is only one flavor of Cronut every month. The inaugural flavor in May was Rose Vanilla, and for June it is Lemon Maple.

Reaction score
Oh, that looks good. I'd definitely like to try it. I wonder if it's really as good as the hype makes it out to be? Sometimes things get so overhyped they end up being really disappointing once you actually get your hands on them.

How hard would it be to try and duplicate, I wonder ...?

Reaction score
Woah, this sounds interesting! That is such a cute idea, and the next thing you know the word about this will spread like wildfire and this will be sold across the country.

Reaction score
Oh, that looks good. I'd definitely like to try it. I wonder if it's really as good as the hype makes it out to be? Sometimes things get so overhyped they end up being really disappointing once you actually get your hands on them.

How hard would it be to try and duplicate, I wonder ...?

I'm sure someone else will figure out how to cut croissant dough with a doughnut cutter, fry it in grapeseed oil and add sugar, cream filling and glaze.
Some food blogger is probably dissecting a cronut right now.

Reaction score
I'm sure someone else will figure out how to cut croissant dough with a doughnut cutter, fry it in grapeseed oil and add sugar, cream filling and glaze.
Some food blogger is probably dissecting a cronut right now.

If people have solved the "secret" recipes from restaurants, I've no doubt someone will figure out the cronut, too. It says the chef who created it went through over ten before mastering it. It's reasonable to think it wouldn't be too hard. I wonder how the chef who created it will react whenever the recipe is reproduced.

Reaction score
Maybe it will end up like the Buffalo Wings did. According to what I read, they started out a truck stop in Buffalo, back when people were still trying to figure out what to do with all those chicken wings. Someone figured out how to spice them up with Tabasco and hot peppers, and they were an instant hit.
Now, chicken wings cost as much per pound as buying a chicken breast, which used to be the high priced part of the chicken.
Those DO look delicious, and I really like both croissants and donuts, so I hoe they catch on, and spread all over the country. I would sure try one if they had them out here where I live, but I am a long ways from New York.....sigh .

Reaction score
At least the chef had the right mind to trademark his cronut. Now it won't matter who else can copy it, because Cronut technically belongs to him.

Reaction score
Whoa. That looks beautiful. ;] I would love to try it! I would also love to show this to my boyfriend, he being a fan of croissants and donuts! So creative.

Reaction score
I am open to trying new things which is why I am finding this cronut baked good to be really intriguing! I wish there was a store that makes those here in Manila! I'd like to sink my teeth into that! :)

Reaction score
That looks so delicious! I hope the rest of the world catches on, I would love to try one but am not likely to be able to afford a trip to NYC anytime soon!

Ask a Question