Parchment Paper vs Aluminum Foil

Reaction score
What are your reasonf for using one over the other? My mother always used foil, but my Grandmother recently introduced me to the idea of parchment paper and that is now what I certainly prefer! I use it for fish, under bacon in the oven, anything baked, etc. Food doesn't stick like it does to foil and the clean up is super easy!

Reaction score
What are your reasonf for using one over the other? My mother always used foil, but my Grandmother recently introduced me to the idea of parchment paper and that is now what I certainly prefer! I use it for fish, under bacon in the oven, anything baked, etc. Food doesn't stick like it does to foil and the clean up is super easy!

When I am cooking meat I use aluminum but when I am baking cookies or even biscuits I use the parchment paper. I have never thought of using the parchment paper for meats..... hmm I might have to give this a try. Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
I use aluminum foil only because we always have it around the house! I'm just so used to it, my dad used it a lot for simple things growing up, so I kind of adapted it from him. My mom uses parchment paper sometimes, but I don't have muc experience with it. I'm sure sooner or later I'll check it out! I bet it's better in the sense that it probably doesn't tear as easily!

Reaction score
I haven't used either one much and my pans show it. I will have to try them both. I bet it beats all the clean up.:) Any tips for how to get in the habit and for which use for what?

Reaction score

I have always used aluminum foil. The reason being, I always have some in the house. I have heard a fair amount about parchment paper and think its time I branch out and give it a try. I must say I never realized you could use it for anything other than baking, so this is great news for me:)

Reaction score
I like paper for baking cookies, etc. And foil for everything else...but recently I've been trying to figure out which one is more eco-friendly. Don't know if it is the paper or foil?

Reaction score
I almost always use aluminum foil. I just tend to never have parchment paper in the apartment because no one else in the apartment would use it.

Reaction score
Parchment paper can catch fire and/or start to smolder in an oven so you need to be careful. While I've only seen it happen a few times, and it's rare, it does happen.

What I'm really partial to is that non stick foil. That stuff is fantastic, especially fro broiling stuff. I just wish it weren't so expensive. It can't possibly cost that much to manufacture it.

As far as eco friendly, you could possibly re-use the foil depending on what you are cooking with it, so that would be another plus for the foil.

Reaction score
Looking forward to trying this out. Never used the non-stick foil and I would think that it would be easy to reuse.

Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and try using the parchment paper for lining the main course meal dish we had for supper. The parchment paper ended up sticking to the food and I had to gently peel it off. So from now on I am sticking with tin foil for my cooking. I will still use parchment paper for cookies but that is it.

Reaction score
I have both, but use aluminium all the time and rarely touch the parchment. For years and years it sat in the drawer and I guiltily ignored it (I bought it mostly because I thought it was a thing I needed). I've used it a couple of times for cookies but am honestly still vague on whether it did anything useful.

Can anyone explain what it is actually supposed to do that a cookie sheet does not? Is it supposed to replace the greased surface?

Reaction score
I like aluminum foil for cooking. I line my meat pans with foil for easy clean up. For baking I love parchment paper.The paper prevents baked good from sticking to the pan. An added benefit of parchment paper is that it keeps the bottom of your baking from getting overly browned. I also like to line Cookie tins with parchment paper before I store my bake goods inside.

Reaction score
I like aluminum foil for cooking. I line my meat pans with foil for easy clean up. For baking I love parchment paper.The paper prevents baked good from sticking to the pan. An added benefit of parchment paper is that it keeps the bottom of your baking from getting overly browned. I also like to line Cookie tins with parchment paper before I store my bake goods inside.

Oh, that makes sense, I guess aluminum will conduct heat whereas parchment paper will not?

Lining cookie tins sounds like effort, though ;)

Reaction score
My whole family only used parchment paper for baking so this is the method I know the best.
I recently tried using foil and it just annoyed me! I know paper is likely to stick to cakes, but using butter can prevent it. Foil makes it slip and just feels unnatural.

Reaction score
My whole family only used parchment paper for baking so this is the method I know the best.
I recently tried using foil and it just annoyed me! I know paper is likely to stick to cakes, but using butter can prevent it. Foil makes it slip and just feels unnatural.

Yeah, I suspect it is not the ideal thing to use with bready products. It works nicely on veggies and potatoes and the like, but that's a different sort of baking altogether.

Does anyone know how wax paper compares? I'd never really heard of it until recently when I saw it pop up in a couple of recipes.

Reaction score
I would like to try the parchment paper since it seems a more natural way to go. I am not sure about wax paper as I would worry about a residue in the food. The parchment seems it may absorb some grease where as aluminum makes it pool. I will continue to watch this thread as I find this an interesting twist.

Reaction score
Foil is great for roasting and steaming - beef, pork, chicken, fish and even veggies. When it comes to baking, though, I prefer parchment a lot. I just line it with butter sometimes to prevent absorption or sticking.

Reaction score
I also prefer aluminium foil for either baking, cooking and store food into the fridge sometimes when I don't have the proper container at hand, or the food is too big, as in example when needing to cover a roasted turkey that is still on the serving dish.

Reaction score
I get less stuck food with parchment.. love it. There's a time for both though :)

Reaction score
I began to use parchment paper when making bacon. It helped the clean up and did not hinder it from begin crispy in when cooking it in the oven. I also made meatloaf in a loaf pan with parchment paper lining it. It helped me to lift it out and again the clean up was so much easier.

Ask a Question