Parchment Paper vs Aluminum Foil

Reaction score
For cookies and other baked goods that use a cookie sheet, I use silpat (I think that's brand name....so, a silicone baking mat), which is easy to clean and reusable since I can't always to remember to keep parchment paper in stock.

For something like bottom of cake pans, I buy baklene, which is a natural spray that pretty much coats your cake pan with flour.

Reaction score
I seldom use parchment, since it is generally much more expensive than foil. But from what I recall, in addition to not burning the bottoms of cookies as much I think it also helped to keep them from spreading out too much and running into each other when baking.

Also, if you like to make stuff like fish poached in a parchment packet with vegetables in your oven, you would want use that instead of foil since aluminum reacts to stuff like tomatoes and causes a bitter taste.

Reaction score
I prefer parchment paper when I am baking. Though, when I am storing food aluminum foil would be my first choice. You can also cook meats with aluminum foil and pop it on the grill.

Reaction score
What are your reasonf for using one over the other? My mother always used foil, but my Grandmother recently introduced me to the idea of parchment paper and that is now what I certainly prefer! I use it for fish, under bacon in the oven, anything baked, etc. Food doesn't stick like it does to foil and the clean up is super easy!
Parchment paper and aluminum foil are both versatile kitchen staples, each with its own set of advantages and ideal use cases. Understanding the differences between them can help you make informed decisions when cooking or baking.
  1. Heat Conductivity:
    • Parchment Paper: It is designed to be heat-resistant, but it lacks the heat-conducting properties of aluminum foil. Parchment paper is best suited for tasks where a non-stick surface is crucial, such as baking cookies or roasting vegetables.
    • Aluminum Foil: Known for its excellent heat conductivity, aluminum foil is often preferred for tasks that require even cooking or baking, like wrapping and grilling fish, vegetables, or certain types of meats.
  2. Non-Stick Properties:
    • Parchment Paper: It provides a non-stick surface without the need for added fats or oils. This makes it an excellent choice for baking delicate items like pastries and cookies.
    • Aluminum Foil: While not inherently non-stick, aluminum foil can be used for wrapping and cooking foods that are naturally non-sticky or coated with oil or marinade. However, it may not be suitable for all baking purposes without greasing.
  3. Durability and Sturdiness:
    • Parchment Paper: It is relatively delicate and can tear easily, especially when wet. However, it is convenient for lining baking sheets and pans, providing an easy cleanup solution.
    • Aluminum Foil: More durable and resistant to tearing, aluminum foil is suitable for wrapping and securing items during grilling or roasting. It can withstand higher temperatures and is less likely to rip.
  4. Versatility:
    • Parchment Paper: Ideal for baking and lining pans, parchment paper is not suitable for direct exposure to open flames or broilers due to its lower heat resistance.
    • Aluminum Foil: Versatile for various cooking methods, aluminum foil is particularly useful for grilling, roasting, and wrapping items for storage or transport. It can also be used to create foil packets for cooking multiple ingredients together.
  5. Environmental Impact:
    • Parchment Paper: Generally considered more environmentally friendly as it is biodegradable and can often be composted. However, some brands may have a silicone coating that may affect compostability.
    • Aluminum Foil: Recyclable, but the process requires more energy than recycling parchment paper. However, aluminum foil can be reused multiple times before recycling.
In conclusion, the choice between parchment paper and aluminum foil depends on the specific requirements of your cooking or baking task. Parchment paper is excellent for non-stick purposes, while aluminum foil excels in tasks that demand heat conductivity and durability. Consider the environmental impact and the desired outcome to make the most appropriate choice for your culinary needs.

Ask a Question