Macarons - Parchment Paper vs Silicone Mat (Pictures Included)?

Reaction score
This thread is about whether I should use a 'silicone mat' or 'non-stick parchment paper' for macarons, tomorrow. The reason why I felt I needed to create this thread, rather than look at past discussions from other websites, is because, on this 'aluminium baking tray (42cm x 30.5cm x 2mm)', the 'silicone baking mat (38cm x 28cm)' has slight curves close to the lipped edges of the tray, which would disrupt the heat in the fibreglass mesh in the mat, as it wouldn't be fully in contact with the tray. This is new equipment, purchased from 'Amazon UK'. As you can see from the picture below, I have weighed down the corners with stainless steel cutlery; however, I'm not entirely sure if the silicone mat will still work, so I needed to ask. Alternatively, I can use Lakeland Non-Stick (silicone-coated) Baking Parchment, which I can cut to size and secure into place, with dots of macaron batter. I am familiar with all stages with the French Macaron recipe (e.g. meringue, macaronage, etc); however, I am planning to bake the macarons, one tray at a time (middle-shelf), at 150°C (300°F), in a fan-assisted oven, using a Rubbermaid Oven Thermometer, for 20 minutes, so there's no deflation (hollow shells) with opening/closing the oven doors to check if the macarons are baked fully. I am using this recipe (http://www.indulgewithmimi.com/the-best-macaron-recipe/). Any reply would be much appreciated. Thank you.

20160705_210954.jpg
20160705_211007.jpg
20160705_211026.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I've never used a silicone mat when making macarons, I've always just used greaseproof paper. If you don't need the macarons for anything special then you could always try both and see how they compare?

That's not great about the silicone sheet curling at the sides though! Have you contacted Amazon about it?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I've never used a silicone mat when making macarons, I've always just used greaseproof paper. If you don't need the macarons for anything special then you could always try both and see how they compare?

That's not great about the silicone sheet curling at the sides though! Have you contacted Amazon about it?

Thanks for replying; however, I don't feel it's necessary to contact Amazon about the silicone mat, because there's no other size to choose from, so I'd end up with nothing, as the good-quality mats are more on the commercial oven size, than a UK oven. Anyhow, I'll use the silicone mats (I have two of them) today and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying; however, I don't feel it's necessary to contact Amazon about the silicone mat, because there's no other size to choose from, so I'd end up with nothing, as the good-quality mats are more on the commercial oven size, than a UK oven. Anyhow, I'll use the silicone mats (I have two of them) today and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I meant you should contact Amazon more because it doesn't lie flat, but maybe that's a common issue (I don't have any so don't know). Hope the macarons turn out ok! Looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

Reaction score
I've never used silicone, but it might be the silicone has to be used first before it flattens out??
I don't use silicone at all, except for spatulas. I would use the paper myself.

Reaction score
I've used silicone mats for baking, and have never had a problem with the edges, or perhaps I'm not that exacting, and wasn't making something delicate, so it wouldn't have mattered. If there's a possibility that they would be affected by the curling of the edges, I'd probably go with the parchment paper.

Reaction score
For me it is better if a non stick parchment paper will be use for baking the macarons. I am always using parchment paper in some of my baking recipes and it is convenient and very useful too.

Ask a Question