Preparing mixture in advance

Reaction score
Btw, I had already asked a version of this question and had received an answer.

This new question is about preparing in advance the whole mixture, including the wet ingredients. Could they activate the leavening agents?

Reaction score
Btw, I had already asked a version of this question and had received an answer.

This new question is about preparing in advance the whole mixture, including the wet ingredients. Could they activate the leavening agents?

yes it is possible. You’re going to have to do some experimenting. It’s going to require increasing your leavening, reducing your liquid, and then balancing out the bitterness of the leavening with some acid like sour cream. Fine Cooking Magazine has a good article on creating muffin recipes that will hold up to a week In the refrigerator.

Reaction score
I've never tried it that way. I've always put them in the oven right after making the batter.

Reaction score
I've never tried it that way. I've always put them in the oven right after making the batter.

I think it makes sense when you are in production and require multiple batters on a regular basis. For home baking it make sense if you have a large gathering and need to prep things in advance. But you absolutely have to work out the recipes in advance because each one will be different.

Reaction score
Is it possible to prepare the muffin mixture in advance and bake as needed ?

We always made a weeks worth commercially, beyond a week the flour oxygenates, producing dark flecks, they won't kill you but look weird, the batter turns grey but if the cooler is working good its still safe.
Baking powder loses a percent or two daily, after a week you can add a 1/4 cup more BP per gallon of batter to perk it up again.
The only time I had problems was baking fresh batter, it flows easily and floods over the mold, with cold batter you can get a huge head on the muffin without any running, we always used IQF fruit.
SCooping in advance causes problems of skinning over, they look weird when baked, scooping and freezing doesn't work without changing the formula, I stayed away from doing that.
I found making the batter with butter caused problems, the batter set too hard when chilled, it made mixing the fruit in a real chore, unsalted marg worked great.

Reaction score
Is it possible to prepare the muffin mixture in advance and bake as needed ?
I would think you could just leave out the leavening agent until you are ready to bake.

Calculate the ratio of the leavening to the rest of the batter by weight. Weigh out the amount of batter you think you need, add the correct amount of leavener (again by weight), and mix well. A cold batter will probably affect the baking time, so some experimenting is likely required, unless you want to leave the batter out to warm up.

LMHmedchem

Ask a Question