Sinking cakes

Reaction score
having disasters with my cakes sinking and the edges really dry. Never had this issue before
I have a fan oven and use the weight of the eggs.

Reaction score
having disasters with my cakes sinking and the edges really dry. Never had this issue before
I have a fan oven and use the weight of the eggs.

Not seeing the recipe it’s difficult to advise. Many things can cause a cake too sink.

Moisture: too much sugar creates too much moisture, so will cause a cake to fall. Too much liquid will cause a cake to fall.

Mixing method: over-mixing or not properly emulsifying the batter will cause a cake to fall.

Temperature: fan assisted ovens bake much hotter as they circulate the heat more evenly throughout the oven and around the cake pans. The type of bakeware also affects temperature. Non-stick bakeware, dark metal bakeware, and anodized aluminum like Fat Daddio brand, conduct heat much more intensely than natural uncoated metal bakeware.

The very dry edges on the cake is an indication that your cake is baking at too high temperature. Cake batter bakes from the outer edges inward. The cake batter is setting too fast, baking, then drying out before the center has a chance to set and bake.

As a general rule with a fan assisted oven, reduce the baking temperature by 20° – 25°. Avoid dark metal and non stick pans.

Reaction score
Not seeing the recipe it’s difficult to advise. Many things can cause a cake too sink.

Moisture: too much sugar creates too much moisture, so will cause a cake to fall. Too much liquid will cause a cake to fall.

Mixing method: over-mixing or not properly emulsifying the batter will cause a cake to fall.

Temperature: fan assisted ovens bake much hotter as they circulate the heat more evenly throughout the oven and around the cake pans. The type of bakeware also affects temperature. Non-stick bakeware, dark metal bakeware, and anodized aluminum like Fat Daddio brand, conduct heat much more intensely than natural uncoated metal bakeware.

The very dry edges on the cake is an indication that your cake is baking at too high temperature. Cake batter bakes from the outer edges inward. The cake batter is setting too fast, baking, then drying out before the center has a chance to set and bake.

As a general rule with a fan assisted oven, reduce the baking temperature by 20° – 25°. Avoid dark metal and non stick pans.

Reaction score
Another issue, I've found, is the AGE of the oven.

Sometimes, ovens we've used for years can turn on us. They bake just perfect for years and all of a sudden, NOTHING is coming out right.

If everything else you have been doing is "normal" for this recipe, then you might want to check the oven to see if it's baking hotter than it's supposed to.

This can also happen to newer ovens, but its more prevalent in older ones.

Reaction score
Nearly every cake will sink in my oven and it's so sad, it drives me mad. I've actually cried over it before!

Ask a Question